Oil Pressure Light

Asked by Aug 30, 2015 at 03:12 AM about the 2006 Volkswagen GTI 2.0T 2-Door FWD

Hi All,
I have a 2006 VW GTI that I bought used in NZ with 66,000kms on it.
I've only had the car for two months and they did an oil change and full top
up when I bought the car. Passed through mechanics assessment with flying
colours. I've driven probably 2000kms on - standard urban driving. Been on
the highway twice.

Today the Oil Pressure stop engine light came on randomly.
I've checked the oil and it's just below half full.

Car drives beautifully -  no sign of any problems.

Any thoughts?
Is it really NO to driving even to mechanic?
Could it be the oil level or a larger problem? Light super sensitive, etc.?

2,565

it could be a larger problem like the oil pump has stoped working and there for the motor is not getting any oil to the top or bearings. there could be a smaller problem as the oil pressure sensor has failed. what you have to do is google the presure sensor for the car and look to see if the wires are good some times these gtis the wires come undone. the next thing is you can check the valve cover by undoing the fill sopt and seeing if there is oil on top start it see if the light is on if it is stop the car and see if there is more oil up top then before you started it. lastly you can have some one or your self bring a oil pressure gauage in hook it to the pressure port and start the car and see what the pressure is. lastly you could just break down and buy a pressure sensor replace it and see if that was the problem. if the light is on and there is no sign of oil getting to the top trough the oil fill cap then I would not drive it. if there is a mettal peice in the valve cover stoping you from seeing the valve train you might want to just pull the valve cover and check it that way. good luck

12,105

I think this engine has a paper filter which means it has a plastic cap over it like my 2012 jetta. When i had oil pressure issues it was my filter getting sucked super tight to my sensor housing due to lack of oil pressure. So i would say the oil pump is most likely on its way out the door since it is quite obviously not winter and not cold enough to freeze condensation in the oil pan like mine did last winter which caused my oil pump to stop working.

So, did some investigating and I came across a great product that seems to be helping the light stay off longer! The name of the product is www.auto-rx.com...I poured 3 of those bottles into the oil and it is getting rid of the sludge in the engine which I have heard it can reduce oil pressure. Anyway, The product works and it appears to be restoring the oil pressure in my car due to sludge.

12,105

I always advise caution when using random products with audi's and vw's but if it is helping thats great just be carefull and keep an eye on it. Noral causes of sludge tho is from things like improper maintence cycles wrong oil being used or short trips consistantly. some times it pays off to have the system all flushed out properly every 60,000km as it keeps sludge and even carbon buildup to a minimum.

I hear you and I'm telling you that oil pressure has gotten a lot better since I started using the product. I'm not doing anything else different. I replaced the oil pump and the sensor and it didn't make a difference I was still getting them.

12,105

well just keep us updated on how it goes and let us know when it levels off. ment to put this at the bottom of my other post but guess i forgot :P glad its working out.

Thank you Deathjam4 - I'm at about 350 miles on with the product. BUt, I already noticed an increase in oil pressure. I'm doing an oil change at about 1500 miles and then do another Auto-RX maintenance dose. I should have taken pictures of the before....