does my car have or is getting a blown head gasket?

20

Asked by Sep 09, 2014 at 06:57 PM about the 1998 Honda Civic EX

ive been having to add antifreeze to my radiator just about everyday before i even start
it or drive it and also emptying my overflow bout maybe once a month due to it being
really full,its like my antifreeze is going from my radiator into my overflow and staying in
my overflow. I have not seen any smoke from exhaust,no milky oil,no overheating,my
gauge has went up like twice but didnt seem overheated, it has a slightly rougher idle
when im stopped , could it be something besides blown head gasket?

105

Yes it could be your thermostat isn't working properly or at all. When you look at the anti freeze in the over flow check for oil in it. Check your oil for anti freeze. The rough idle might just be a tuning issue,air filters etc. good luck!!

293,775

To determine a head gasket issue, you have to perform a compression and or leak down test on the all cylinders.

20

thank you Ron, I havent yet seen oil w/antifreeze or have i seen antifreeze in the oil , oil level has been normal, a friend said she did one time smell a antifreeze sweet smell coming from my car after we stopped ,am weary to drive it because of everything people are saying

20

what is a compression test?

105

It test what each cylinder is pushing out. A certain amount of gas is compressed into a cylinder. The test will determine if the cylinder has the right amount of compression

20

will it pass a smog test if it has a blown head gasket?

105

The key word is If. Most likely not. Stranger things have happen. Best to have it checked and solve this mystery? I know here in RI you don't have to pay if it doesn't pass and they will ask if you want to report it in some cases anyway. Doesn't hurt to ask. Good luck

20

When I take radiator cap off for the first time, before starting the car up so its completely cold, you can hear a pressurized noise and a large like air bubble under the cap,and radiator is nearly empty and overflow almost ready to overflow itself. nothing on the ground,am still stumped......?Have someone going to replace head gasket on monday for 500.00 but dont want to pay if i dont have to.

105

What happen on Monday. I responded to this n posted the answer. Don't know what happen?

20

Well Ron, he called and told me I had a cracked cylinder head and for me to come so he can show me and I did so now today I ordered a refurbished cylinder head to be delivered in a few days,a brand new one was 500.00 too much so after much looking I found one for 335.00 delivery and tax included

20

can you put a v-tech head on a non-v-tech motor?

I am facing the same problem with my Civic 2007. Coolant is coming out of overflow tank and radiator is having very low quantity left. Checked heater Core and found it to be fine. Earlier I had mild coolant leakage on the passenger seat for a few days, but then it disappeared. Also radiator was removed and pressure tested, nil findings. The mechanic has said that the radiator pipes were having some blocks inside due to which the Flow was reduced and coolant was flowing back to the overflow tank. Car is driving fine until 120 km/hr, after further increase I feel slight jerks in steering. I have been facing this issue since almost 13000 km now. Also I am noticing slightly white colour exhaust fumes, but no oil in coolant or milky engine oil is observed. The civic has done total of 1.2 Lakhs kms. What could be the possible issue. Please suggest.

there was a recall on crappy honda civics that suffered cracked heads. Bad honda design & whats worse is honda didnt tell anyone about recall & they only offered a limited time for owners. On top of it they make every excuse not to do the job & blame customer aswell as hidden charges & the hidden fact that if you dont have your Honda serviced at honda dealerships then your warranty ceases to exist. #nomorehonda