Check Engine and VSC Lights

Asked by Apr 22, 2015 at 07:12 AM about the 2009 Toyota Avalon XLS

I recently turned a corner quickly, it had gravel on it so the tire spun a bit. Shortly after the check engine and VSC lights came on. I looked at 10 to 15 forum chats on the subject and all explained how to reset the lights. I did so but they keep on coming back on. Going back and reading a bit deeper into the forums, just about all of the people who have had this experience say they have gone to the dealer only to pay big bucks and not get the issue resolved. One said it was a charcoal canister the other says it is Oxygen sensor. The car is a 2009 Avalon and I bought it as a certified used car, so I have coverage until 10/2015. Does anyone have any ideas as to what this really is and how I might fix it economically.

1,235

VSC should be vehicle stability control; the light came on when the system activated while sliding in gravel. As for the check engine light, you need to have the system scanned. There are many, many reasons this light can come on.

146,465

It's not the charcoal canister, spinning out will not throw an EVAP code ...unless by chance gravel really slung up in to one of the EVAP parts and broke something. Not 02 sensor. If you are not experiencing any drive-ability problems, no loss of power, I have a feeling -- an informed guess -- that all those lights will go out on their own after a few days, probably less, of driving. If not, the system.... just as Chris64microbus says... should be scanned. If you do get some codes before you buy anything, especially electrical parts (they can not be returned if not the problem) bring the codes back here, in a new question so we will see them. Then one of us will be happy to help. But wait a few days...unless it's already been a few days and 100 miles or more, then do it as soon as practical for you, no urgency but soon as you can. Go to AutoZone or O'Relieys, some of them scan for free some not.

3,565

Did you reset gas cap listen for one click Did you remove positive battery cable for 60 seconds? Then try this Check brake fluid level! Fill reservoir if necessary Check brake pads front and rear for worn pads Check for warped rotors Check codes for oxygen sensor Check for ignition coil code Speed sensors all operational? .... Now the really expensive one is the YAW SENSOR. $2000 And ABS SYSTEM $1500 .... Get it to the Dealer and pay the deductible if its the last two! If this was useful please click my Helpful link Thanks Papa

3,565

As Ford Nut stated get it scanned Autozone will do it for free in Colorado Sensors are not cheap to replace so do the easiest and cheapest first! My daughters 4runner had the lights go on ! Now my Sequoia is doing it! In my case I suspect worn brake pads and warped rotors! Pads will be first then reset gas cap and positive battery cable! INSPECT FILL BRAKE FLUID , Then warped rotors! In this fashion I isolate each problem then gas cap and cable if still on! You see the pattern oh and know for a fact these two items are in need of repair! After this SCANNING IT AT AUTO ZONE Hope this helps ! If it does Please click my Helpful link Thanks Papa