Check engine light and vsc lights on

Asked by Dec 16, 2013 at 11:11 AM about the 2007 Toyota Avalon Limited

Went to the autozone for the above problem and they gave me the code P0456. Where
do I go from here? Please help.thanks

565

I had the same problem with my 2007 Avalon xls. I took it to AutoZone and they tested it and said it was because my gas cap was'nt tightened tight enough, so i tightened it till it clicked, then disconnected the battery connections for 30 seconds to reset the check engine and VSC light and i have'nt had a problem since!

240

P0456

170

I followed farmboy directions, worked perfect. Thanks brother!!

10

Spot on. Just saved me $$$$. Luv it long time.

10

Darn good advice, booked an appointment then checked this site, yes my gas cap was not on tight........said I have nothing to loose and it worked as stated....then I cancelled my appointment.

10

Update I had to replace the gas cap....no more problems !

Thank you, farmboy! My husband didn't believe it would work when I told him. But 2 minutes later, success!! Although my husband said to note that the check lights will go off after a time of the error not happening. Whatever, this gave me peace of mind much sooner!

90

Replaced alternator on 2010 toyota avalon. VCS light comes on. Car doesn't want to go.

150

I followed Farmboy93 advice on the gas cap. I tightened the gas cap and unhooked the battery then hooked it back up and the VSC & check engine lights went off. However they came back on. So i bought a new gas cap repeated the process and the lights went off again. So this morning they're bacl on. Has anybody had an actual problem that cause those lights to come on that had to be fixed other the it being a issue with the gas cap? Any suggestions?

10

Engine light came on 2013 Avalon Toyota

40

i have a 2000 avalon and had a engine light pkus both vsc and vsc off ligjts on. i did farm boys trick and the check engine light popped off but the vsc lights stayed on. any ideas before it goes to shop

thanks ssooooooooooooooooo much, went out of town, sick mother and surprise birthday for sister. On the way back both light came on 1hour drive from home. 2008 Avalon Limited check gas cap was not clicked and nothing light still on, so I disconnected my battery and reconnected no lights!! Yea!! Aval

I followed farm boy directions. Worked perfectly! Thanks so much!

20

My vsc and ck. engine light on driving down interstate motor started to losing speed.Had car towed to local toyota dealer on Fri.so not able to get to it til mon,read tihis page went to dealership on sun eveything worked checking gas cap and disconnecting battery. Drove home Thanks

10

Thank you! Prayed for fix and found the answer here. New Toyota gas cap and disconnecting reconnecting battery worked. Labor Cruise Control also working now ! Praise Jesus

2005 Avalon both Check Engine and VSC lights on. 3 months ago, gas cap tightening to click fixed it. This time issue was misfiring cylinder with bad ignition coil. Needed periodic maintenance of changing spark plugs too. Service guys explained that the system tries to protect itself when it gets this type of error, so it actually could have shut down the engine. I noticed a brief shutdown twice during acceleration. it also turned off the cruise control. There is another pesky player possibly tripping these lights: the various oxygen sensors in the exhaust stream. Again, system protection may shut down engine to prevent too much unburned gas going out to the catalytic converter, which would get very hot processing it. Sensor can be expensive to replace.

10

2006 Avalon Limited with check engine and VSC lights on. Lazor Cruise Control would not stay engaged. Bought new Totota replacement gas cap from dealer and disconnected/reconnected battery. Lights went off and Labor Cruise Control working for 3 weeks now! My Lord Jesus led me to this site; Praise Him! Additional thanks to farmboy!

10

Thank You Farmboy93. Per your instructions I tightened the gas cap, unhooked the battery for about 60 seconds, then hooked it back up, and the VSC & check engine lights went off. It has been a week and the two lights have not come back, but I did notice that my gas cap plastic threads are barely engaging with the gas tank outlet, and a very slight push, pushes the gas cap out. After 175,000 miles maybe time to change the gas cap!