1998 Buick Scan Code for Service Engine Light being on

30

Asked by Jun 03, 2014 at 03:59 PM about the 1998 Buick Riviera Supercharged Coupe

I got the code P0304 when I hooked up to the scanner at the auto store.  I took the print out to a reputable mechanic and he practically dismissed it and seemed to not be able to interpret what it meant or even cared to.  I was advised by several to get on the scanner when my engine light came on.  3 questions:  Do mechanics general respect the readings from the scanner. . . are they useful to them? and, I would like to know what P0304 means.  (The attendant at the store said I probably needed a tune up -- some loose spark plugs, coils or something like that.)  Should one be out of a lot of money on this?

15,645

the code points to a possible place(s) to look. Not all mechanics are good diagnosticians. A good mechanic knows that the code is just another tool to use in trying to find a problem. ( along with his ears,eyes,nose and experience) So find a good mechanic and let him tell you what he plans to do with the P 03 304 code.

1,135

Presently I am unable to converse with a certified mechanic however research indicates Code P0304 is a misfire on cylinder 4. I suggest that you locate the number 4 wire and pull from your core pack and determine if there is a change in the performance/running of the engine. Good Luck..SEMPER FI

Best Answer
30

When you say number 4 wire are you referring to the ignition wire -- spark plugs....? I do not mean to sound too ignorant about this; but it's just that when I go to a mechanic and he tells me what needs to be done -- I want to have some knowledge of what he's talking about. Thanks

15,645

I won't say that P0304 is cylinder 4; because, I am pretty sure it points to cylinder 5 .... Your mechanic will know that. It only gives the mechanic a place to start looking for a misfire [it does not tell him what to do] There could be more involved than a wire.

1,135

Yes Kelly, I am referring to the wiring and all it's components relative to cylinder 4. Its could be a bad ignition core pack, bad wire and or plug. Start your vehicle, locate your no. 4 plug wire, remove it from the ignition core pack to determine if the engine running changes. Please be careful and NOT grab the wire end attached to the ignition pack. And its suggested that your also do this to the other wires. GOOD LUCK SEMPER FI

15,645

300=cylinder 1 ,so I think 304 would be cylinder 5. and I do think the mechanic will be careful with the COIL (not too sure what he will do with the CORE.)

325

P0304 means this cylinder fail long enough for computer to detect it...it could be your electrical part,fuel part,or a basic engine part...thats were the diagnostics start.

1,135

Chassy thanks for the spelling correct/class. Is it ok if I forward you my messages in the future before submitting?

30

Sure

30

Also -- what is a crankshaft and a power train?

15,645

I make typo mistakes too; but, when I read core twice and the keys for core are not close to the keys for coil ....... ........and core doesn't sound anything like coil.......;[

1,135

Now its seems this topic has been hijacked and now is a spelling /typing class instead of auto repair.. please explain P 03 304 code.

15,645

Besides ; I didn't say anything the first time you wrote core. Then you did it two more times ??? ;[ I was just trying to let you know what to call it when you say it out loud . Spelling wasn't the point.

30

Thank you gentlemen -- it's coil, not core. I have two more questions: What is a crankshaft? What is a power train? Is it best to ask for a complete tune up to fix the P0304 issue or just ask them to check out the issues surrounding cylinder 4?

1,135

Crankshaft is a main component where the engines connector rods that move the pistons. The power train is considered the engine, transmission and in some cases the rear end. Please allow me to direct your attention to www.gmpartsdirect.com. There you should be able to view certain parts. Relative to your question about code p0303 I would direct the tech's attention to cylinder 4 as a starting point. GOOD LUCK>>>SEMPER FI

15,645

@ Alvin - finally - yes P0303 is cylinder 4 ..... BUT SHE HAS.....P0304 which I said was cylinder 5 and the mechanic she is going to will know that!

30

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

1,135

Chassy, thanks for your update. I am just a layman who own 3 Riviera's 2 95's and 1 98. I do not pro claim to know all about these vehicles but I have learned a lot and try to share my knowledge with others. Please note >>>http://www.enginemisfire.com/p0304-trouble-code-obd-ii-code/ P0304 trouble code and obd ii code This trouble code is quite common and frequently shows up on a scan tool. This code means that cylinder #4 on an engine is misfiring. The misfiring can be caused by many factors and related failed or worn component contributing to its misfire. Some of the causes of misfire are bad/worn spark plug or plug wire, bad coil pack, poor chamber compression, burned exhaust valve, worn/crack in disturber cap, bad fuel injectors, out of gas, worn piston ring (not able to hold compression). Check spark plug and plug wire for its condition. Check spark plug gap, tip, and check is it oil soaked. Check coil pack, check wire condition. Conduct a compression test on all cylinders. Make sure the reading is about the same. If compression is low, conduct a leak down test. If compression increase, then piston ring is bad.

15,645

Alvin - you got the list of the stuff that can cause an ign/misfire - and it is indeed a lot of stuff. I am not trying to be mean I just wanted to be sure that coil was the word and according to my list P03 303 is cylinder 4 ... which is what you said in your second last post .... [ P03 304 is cyl 5] .....drive safe and let's all try to be helpful and learn stuff too.

1,135

Same here!!! Have a pleasant weekend. SEMPER FI

15,645

bye