my 1996 buick riviera service engine light somes on when it rains, with a misfire code. why is this happening?

Asked by May 11, 2012 at 04:40 PM about the 1996 Buick Riviera

I have a 1996 Buick RIviera

how old are your spark plug wires? run the engine, spray a mist of water, check for arcing at sparkplug wires.

Best Answer Mark helpful

I had the wires, plugs and a pulley changed in February 2012. I've also "cleaned" the coils and had a "silcone" conductor sheet put under two of the coils because there was a "gap" and this kind of helped with the connectivity. The car would stall whenever it rained. Now, after cleaning the coils,etc..the car runs better BUT the "service engine" light came on again last week after a day of rain and gave a code of "engine misfire". Any other ideas you may have would be greatly appreciated as I need to keep this car running! Thanks! Lenib

there is a gap between the module and the ignition coil?? maybe you need to make a seal to keep it dry. if you know where, try permatex or something similar.ACTUALLY, it is supposed to be flush, is a wire/debris getting in the way of the two parts mating? tan stuff seeping?

yes, the gap was taken care of by inserting a piece of "silicone sheeting"...and it made the problem of the car stalling during wet weather much better. BUT, yesterday and today, (it's been raining for the past 3 days), the "service engine" light came back on and the car momentarily "hesitated" but did not stall. Code is saying "engine misfire"... Should I try the permatex or could the problem be caused by something else?