EPC light came on and lost all power a week ago, having strange problem now. Help please!

215

Asked by Jan 17, 2011 at 03:34 PM about the 2003 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T

about 1 week ago while I was driving on the freeway my EPC light came on and I had to pull onto the shoulder as I lost all acceleration. After restarting the car I got off the freeway ok (did notice a loud blowing sound though) and got to a gas station, then I disconnected and reconnected the negative battery terminal to reset the system.
Since then it hasn't happened again and my car appears to be running completely fine except for one thing: when I give it a lot of gas and really try to accelerate quickly I hear that same loud blowing or sucking noise coming from the engine. I'm assuming this has to do with the turbo since it only happens if I give it a lot of gas, but I'm only guessing here.
VW guy claims he has no idea what the problem is until he looks at it for $85 an hour, anyone have a good idea what the problem might be?

1,190

Hey man im having the same problem with my 03 gti. The light first came a couple weeks ago after there was a noticeable shift in power, light tug, feeling of a slight down shift. I preceded to drive the car home and left it parked for the night. The next day the light was off. However after driving maybe 15 miles the next day the same thing occurred, in addition my vehicle began stalling at stops and the EPC light switched to the check engine light. Again once parked the lights both EPC and Check Engine switched off. For the past week this is recurring every time i drive and again the lights turn off overnight. I have taken it to two mechanics whom state they cannot help because the lights do not stay on. Any suggestions??

215

someone posted on another website I may have a boost leak, but they were referring to how I mentioned I hear a blowing noise when I give it a lot of gas. My lights haven't come back on, but last night my MIL light came on (malfunction indicator light* I believe is what it stands for). Yet again the manual is very vauge about what can cause it, so I don't know whats going on. If I hear anything about the lights I'll post it on hear for you.

150

i had the same thing a year a go took in to vw it was fule senser today i have the same problem i need to take it back

100

Check the vaccuum lines. mine had the same issue so i replaced my vaccum lines.

285

Epc light is mostly known to come on when there is emissions probelms. Could be Lambda probe sensor (o2) on cat.

385

the check engine light deals with emission related problems. if there is a loss in engine power then thats when the epc light comes on.

130

i was driving my 2003 vw new super beatle gls turbo today my oil light flashed checked my oil full levels then i later read in my owners manual that do not drive your vw if your oil is full and light flashes seek nearest vw dealership. i went to mcdonalds and on my way back home engine light came on car died on 83 in the middle of the road it most likely is my timing belt or hydro pumps possibly a loose sensor but non the less bought this car 3 days ago so they are fixing and replacing all parts for free downside im without my car for 6 more hours... DO NOT DRIVE IF OIL LIGHT FLASHES AND OIL IS FULL***** MEGA REGRET FOR MY DAY.. YOUR CAR WILL STALL **** JUST TAKE IT TO THE VW DEALERSHIP.... hope thats helpful... - em

130

THIS IS A RESULT TO THE STATEMENT I LISTED ABOVE ^^^^ CAR DIED IF LIGHTS FALSH DO NOT DRIVE IT HAD MY CAR 3 DAYS AND OFF TO VW FOR REPAIRS **** JUST LEAVE IT AT HOME OR DRIVE IT TO THE DEALERSHIP BC IT LITTERALLY STALLED GOING 40 MPH THEN NO POWER I COULDNT BRAKE NOR ACCERLERATE PULLED THE E-BRAKE BC YOU DO NOT NEED POWER FOR THAT PUT IT IN PARK HAZARDED IT AND LUCKILY I HAD A TOW TRUCK GET ME OFF THE MIDDLE OF N 83 (KINGERY HGHWY) RUSH HOUR EARLY MORNING HOURS **** ! I WAS SO FREAKING SCARED ** JUST DONT DRIVE IT IF YOU DO TAKE IT TO A DEALERSHIP BC SOMETHING IS WRONG..

440

Once about every week or two when i come outside my home and get in my 05 gti and start it up to go to work my EPC light and my ESP light cut on and stay on. If i start driving it down the road, ill get the loss of power.. I can pull off the side of the road quickly and restart my engine once with my key and the EPC light will cut off but my ESP light stays on.. Start it a second time and the ESP light resets... still trying to trouble shoot this. Im also not going to a VW dealer so they can tell me 6 other things are wrong and need fixing when they are not. haha.. I'll let you know what i find out.

450

yes, i am having the same problems with a 08 DSG model, i've had the accelerator cable, accelerator and another valve replaced so far. its still happening! driving along and suddenly the EPC light will come on and i'll loose power, its really dangerous. does anyone have a fix for this problem??

100

Had same problem.. Getting it back today.. They said my second cylinder was missing.. So I'm guessing it was a spark plug.

100

I have a 2008 city golf done up a bit. When I put a cold air package on it and racing exhaust. The epc and red exclamation mark comes on. I have no loss on power just that lousy beeping warning. I took the negative off and nothing. It came on once. Went away and 2 months later came back

100

New machine studios

180

engine speed sensor

180

this happining now to my 2004 audi a4 quattro 1.8t

330

My brand new 2015 GTI (3 weeks old) just had a similar problem when I was out driving it yesterday. In a parking lot on a hill. Car would start for a few seconds then fail to idle and die. The EPC light was on. Thought it was flooded and tried everything including jump starting by rolling down the hill for about 200 yards. Still nothing. We waited about 10 minutes while we read through the manual to see what EPC meant. Just before we called the dealer we tried one last time and it started. We drove straight to the dealership and they are now looking at it. Very disappointing.

470

I recently had the same issue with my 2001 beetle, 1.8L turbo. This is how I fixed the problem. The middle gear inside the throttle control module was worn. This wear allowed to much play between the servo motor gear and the throttle plate gear. Computer interpreted this as a slip in the drive train. The middle gear does not rotate 360 degrees. Therefore I lifted the gear out of the assembly and dropped it back in place so the worn areas were no longer in play. No DTC's and operating great for a couple of months.

230

I'm having the same problem with my 2010 polo when I start it it's rev counter is a bit too high and when I try to drive it doesn't pick up speed. The EPC warning light is on it started to last night

120

As I'm driving my 2011 jetta the battery light comes on and the car just shuts off and it takes about 10 man before it will start back up what could be the problem I need help

140

Well Well, we all have the same problem but not solution does anybody had a solution to the EPC light turning on.

470

The EPC light has to do with the VW's accelerate by wire system. Any anomaly that's associated with the engine rpm, wheel rotation, throttle peddle position and the throttle control module will most likely illuminate the EPC light. Now you have to figure out which one. Start with pulling DTC codes. If none, then roll the dice. I'd start with the TCM if no codes come up or if fuel metering code P0170 DTC comes up. This comment is entirely based on personnel experience. I have no experience with the other possible causes. If you don't understand what I'm talking about then you need to find a good diagnostic mechanic. Repair shops just start throwing in parts until it's fixed. A good technician can find the data causing the problem then you can determine which part needs replacing. Read my solution I posted a couple of months ago.

200

EPC = Electrical Power Controle, Any fault in any electrical wiring or instrument will make it flash on, But, always there another sign light will flashed on beside the EPC, the other sign light will lead you to the problem,

215

It does the same thing for me I just disconnect the negative Batrey wire for about half hour and all lights are shut of and runs again for 300kilometres or so then epc come on. I've been told to replace the pressure regulator hose numerous sensors spark plug wires boost leak. What do I need to change every part on this peace before the electrical power control light stops coming on. Can anyone give me a direct genius answer to what the exact problem is??, I don't want to go spend all my money and have it still having problems

80

Im having the same problem however, my gti lose power and cuts out completely and dies. I took it to a vw dealer and once the plug in their laptop and clear the faults car starts and epc off and all no more faults. This has happened 3 times now and no one knows what is wrong. Please help!!!

215

We'll I changed the PVC valve from the air filter, and the PVC hose witch was rotted to nothing and runs well now, haven't had any problems for A couple thousand kilometers now 160$ fix . the end of the PVC hose was completely clogged, mite wana clean that out .

30

My 2008 EOS has the same issue. They are telling me that it requires a new wiring assembly and a new throttle pedal

100

Im Currently having the same problem on my Polo 6. The EPC Light comes on and when it idles it has a strange sound from the exhaust and it loses power while im driving it can't even get to 100km/h. So I phoned VW and they told me to take it to the nearest VW dealer tomorrow

100

My wife has a brand new 2015 Polo GTI bought in Australia. Driven 1 day only, 160 kilometres and guess what - EPC light came on and needed to be towed to dealer. Still there.

60

EPC light gets displayed on my 2005 Skoda Octavia vRS every time ever since the car was left dipped in 2 feet of standing water about 2 weeks back (I was sleeping and the entire street got flooded with rain water). Luckily, I was able to get inside (in the process, some water went in too) and move the car out of that place in time. The turbo just won't function as long as the EPC signal remains displayed... Any idea what I should do? Thanks :(

180

Went to audi and them check the problem on my 2004 a4 Quattro. Its the brake switch.

30

My Audi A4, 2lt Triptronic B7 was diagnosed 3 times already. I changed the fuel pump, spark plugs, turbo valve, the EPC light went off after a long struggle. But came back again 4 days later. I really don't know any more after spending so much on getting it fixed, but the problem persists. Any reference?

30

Same here. My 2014 Gti also randomly came up with EPC warning. The dealer here (Dubai) checked the car for full 10 days! and came back saying it was a valve issue. 3 months later, while driving yesterday i get the same thing. Car wouldnt even start and had to take it back to the dealer. Some Quality German Engineering this must be! Very disappointing indeed.

120

Was there ever an answer for the EPC problem?

40

I have a 2011 Jetta, having the same issue, started out with it idling so low while sitting in traffic and at lights it would stall out and sometimes be hard to start, have to shut it off for upwards of 5 minutes before it would refire. EPC light was always involved. Took it in to the dealer and the first thing they tried after they did the diagnostic was to do a software update on it because it was a cam position sensor issue. After that I almost caused an accident while trying to merge onto the bridge because it lost power and EPC light came on and stayed on, still running and still moving, but just seemed to be in an idle mode or something, would only go 20km/hr in morning traffic, that's not good when trying to merge. EPC light was out when I restarted again after stopping and shutting it off for a while. Took it to the dealer again this morning and the new diagnostic codes say to change the cam position sensor. Luckily I bought the extended warranty or it would be costing me over $250 to fix. Hopefully this time it fixes the problem.

20

Answers please

90

My 2009 Passat is still in the shop ( a week) first sign was was turning sharp Righ to merge on a sloped freeway entrance code said faulty engine workshop ! Or something like that . Then it began to suddenly just die at stops or driving a low speed . I got a new battery , replaced cam sensor , fuel pump Control module and guess what ? Still did it .... What is it ????

50

Heyoooooo! I might have an answer. I unfortunately had this issue yesterday and spent more on towing it than service. My issues turned out to be the belt had ripped to shreds. My mechanic replaced it, charged the battery and voila! My baby's back haha

105

Ok, I'm having an EPC problem right now too. I'm going to do a trial and error this weekend to fix the EPC. After reading a lot of articles and websites. People have come up with a couple reasons EPC pops up. 1. Throttle body. I'm going to pull it out and simply clean it this weekend. 2. Speed sensor. 3. Brake switch. 4. Throttle control sensor. I'm going to do it in that order. I will update once solved!

105

I cleaned my throttle body this weekend, pretty simple job, so far no issues.

30

I wish I had an answer? My doc light started coming on after an APR stage 1 flash. I have a 2014 Jetta se TSI 1.8 litre (gas engined car). My EPC light comes on under aggressive acceleration. It doesn't always come on with any predictable pattern. NO other lights accompany it coming on and my car DOES NOT GO INTO LIMP MODE. I have zero loss of power. As soon as I turn the car off....it is reset? Zero codes were thrown. It was looked at for an hour or 2 at the VW-AUDI-PORSCHE dealership (the APR dealership is at the VW dealership...all the same folks). APR came up with 2 beta versions of thier APR stage 1 tune to try as this had never happened before the tune was done. Other then the EPC light staring at me, I am not looking ANY performance and don't ever get a check engine light nor has it left me stranded so until I see that it's hurting the car, I'm just going try to ignore it. I'm still going to look for answers but perhaps letting whatever it is fail, might be the only way to fix this? Not sur if this helps. I'll be following this and hope to all that an answer is found.

40

Spark plugs. My 2010 tiguan had the same problem. Changed the spark plugs fixed the issue. Light will stay on until it's reset.

50

I have a 2012 Passat and I'm running into the same problems. I have an EPC light on as well as a check engine light , got the codes read , came out to be the throttle body sensor.. When I drive it the car won't go over 30mph and then most of the time I step on the gas and have no acceleration what so ever , I have to pull over turn off the car and turn it back on to be able to drive it. Help !

30

Change the voltage sensor Is low voltage the same issue i have and it startes just like that..once u took the battery off u made a reset.. Dont even spend money...get 2 things ..gas pedal sensor wich is the whole pedal and sensor and the voltage sensor...you will c...this is my 2nd jetta i got experience on these ..i still love the car

30

My car is a 2014 Jetta SE TSI 4 cylinder 1.8 litre engine. I am curious if you had any other lights show up at the same time as the EPC light. In my instance, it is the ONLY LIGHT THAT SHOWS UP. My car does NOT have a check engine lighf AND IT DOES NOT GO INTO LIMP MODE AND DRIVES FINE. When I cut it off it "resets. Its never shown any codes every. I have no place to begin trying to figure out what to do.?? How much was a voltage sensor? Was your chk engine light on? No one seems to have the exact same problem. Everyone else seems to have a CEL light and the car stops driving like crap while mine has none of those symptoms. I wish I had an answer. Hopefully others will include more detail.

10

My car won't go over 30mph the EPu light is on jetta 2004 GLS plz help

20

All hoses replaced, head gasket changed, new spark plugs, new battery, cleaned throttle bod,y cam follower replaced, and still having EPC light and car in limp mode. Did anyone figure this out yet?

30

Same problem with loss of power, I changed a brake light and this problem started, supposedly fuses were okay, but when I fixed brake light problem started, could be just that, don't panic, codes say TBS, but I don't trust that and with good reason.

30

So I have an 05 audi a4 2.0t had the same issue that in seeing in this post but mine never reset I replaced the coils and nothing then with the crank and cam sensor nothing changed finally my friends father suggested changing the crank vent or PC valve and it fixed it the issue I had was there was a vaccume building in the block and the crank sensor noticed it and cut some air flow into the cylinder to compensate causing it to misfire and lose power which the cam sensor picked up and restricted the power to 3k rpm max hope this helps Pus sorry for the structure of the text I am dyslexic

30

I had the same problem I had my stereo system turn way up when it happened so the problem is for some reason your car doesn't have sufficient power to continue running and shuts down

30

Thanks Tom, I rotated tires, checked fuses, this started with replacing a rear brake light, after that this EPC light came on so I got codes about a throttle body sensor, seems like a large expense, it may be time to let it go and buy another car but never again will I buy VW. :(

i am also having the same problem here i diagnosed it with Launch machine it went but later came back, anyone with a better answer

20

We recently bought a 2002 VW Golf 1.6 with all these problems. We had the ESP and EPC lights coming on. Suddenly one day we had loss of power and the car came to a stop. This happened two times since then. The check engine light has come on and the dealership thinks the problem is the throttle body. Our agreement was that we would be responsible for 50% of costs. I am afraid the next thing could be the O2 sensor etc. etc. Any ideas would help. Thank you

40

I own a 2007 VW GTI. When the temps in Las Vegas get about 105 degrees F, the car will lose power as if it was shut off. Then, a couples seconds later power is restored. We have complained about this to the VW dealer and VW America with no resolution. The dealer doesn't have a clue what it is or how to fix it. Someone needs to file a multi-billion dollar class-action lawsuit against VW. This is a highly dangerous malfunction that will eventually lead to someone being killed because of it.

20

i own a 2009 golf , EPC is not always on it comes mainly when i am stopping in a signal ( always when i am not moving with the car) and when light is on i lose power and cant accelerate properly, computer test always read throttle body angle sensor fault, i cleaned the throttle body and two weeks later same EPC comes back, i changed the throttle body $$ and 24 hrs same problem.....it seems that no one knows the problem and i dont know what to do now!!

90

I loved my Passat .. It was the komfort addition . I now had to get rid of it after the whole EPC light fiasco and over 4500 of repairs ... The final tragedy hit . My timing skipped . And you all know what that means ... Screwed pistons and bent valves . No salvaging it . I only wish I turned it in at the start of the EPC problems . I could have used that money on the new car . I've only owned volkswagons because I love the way they drive but I just can't count on them and don't have the money for the maintenance issues . I do wish everyone luck , as a list I repaired Cam sensor , crank shaft , fuel pump module , high pressure fuel pump , 4 fuel injectors and then 3 weeks later timing skipped . I heard that was a problem in my year model . It was a 2009 Passat .

20

There many people complaining about the problems of modern cars or other vehicles that heavily use a central control unit that manage almost every function of the engine. There are horror stories out there that should never happened. Those who had the terrible idea to introduce the immobilizer into the Electronic Control Unit made one mistake after another and while years went by they did have more terrible ideas to cut off the power from the engine if there was a problem with signals, parameters or the DPF. Let it be known that nobody has the right to cut off power to an engine without consent from the vehicle's driver because it is illegal to do so and it can cause severe accidents or loss of lives. This is specially true when one is trying to pass another vehicle. A device should have been introduced into the car to allow the driver to bypass the ECU and take control immediately. Vehicle manufacturers haven't done it because they are thinking only about security and they are thinking excessively aboutbanti-theft strategies while this matter it must be the responsability of the car owner only. NOw all of the car makers will soon or later have to recall every vehicle in the market that have this issues and they will have to provide a way to bypass the ECU or remove totally every dangerous component. Vehicle makers will need to provide a full bypass that removes control to the ECU. I am sure that it is a big mistake they have done. It's like a an engineer that build badly a building and puts people's life at risk. They can go to jail.

50

Turns out my serpentine belt ripped off and that's what caused all the issues.. Easy, cheap fix.

90

Really ? Well I hope nothing else happens and you are safe . My car died in the middle of busy streets for months . I'd change a part then it would happen again . The scariest was when I was coming home from los Angeles for the weekend and the EPC light came on and I felt the loss of power .... I " chanced" my life and drove it 70 miles home staying in the right hand lane and calling out to Jesus the whole way. He for sure protected me. I literally made it to my house by a miracle , that's when it needed 4 fuel injectors . I am now in a Toyota . No bells and whistles to it but I believe it will be a dependable car .

10

I think that may be the answer Stormball. I to am having the same issue with my 2010 VW Jetta Wolfsburg edition. I've been having engine problems for about 6 years. It first started out where the engine light would come on, no big deal VW would say, as long as the car is running fine you're fine, just make sure you don't top your gas off, that causes the engine light to come on. So I do that and the stupid light keeps coming on so I take it in again and this time they have to clean some calcification junk from the manifold, well that helped for a while but a year later I get a recall letter stating that the manifold had to be replaced and that lasted about less then a year, so I replaced the spark plug, good for 6 months, next were the coil packs, less than 6 months and last month I had 1 fuel injector replace and now the EPC light is back on and my car has a loss in power. I have a new mechanic who is great I hope he can really find my issue and replace the other three fuel injectors. I want my turbo back. :)

90

I know you love your vw but I would consider trading it in while it is still drivable . Mine had to be towed in for my trade in . Can't trust the EPC problems .... It spiraled from the day that light came on . Unexplained loss of power . Read bout the timing in your vw model . Best of luck .

10

Why have I not seen any mention of catalytic converter?

10

I have a VW 2008 rabbit. About one month now it just cut off completely when I'm at the traffic lights or slowed down. The doors go..click and the radio goes off.when I put in park and turn the key to off and restart it does so immediately without a problem. Happened 6 times.I took it to my mechanic and all checked out fine.nothing was wrong.So I began meticulus observations. I thought of some kind of electromagnetic interference as there are high powered lines on a particular stretch of road where this happened. One day in another location I was pulling into a parking spot and it died.my hubby pointed out that just above the car were high voltage wires. Talking to someone when is a mechanic, he mentioned that large trucks when the drivers are on their CB radios do shut off this particular year VW. In particular on a stretch of road i drive they are large tractor trailers passing AND THIS HAS HAPPENED twice, just about 4 blocks apart, on the same road once just as soon as one if these trailers pulled alongside me. There is something called a shield that can be put somewhere on the car..don't know where... to stop this from happening but we are still doing our research. Has anyone had this happen or observed this? I'm going to go to a Dealership when I've saved enough money..

10

Our master mechanic, who has never seen a problem he couldn't fix said it is a "crankshaft sensor" issue. Will cost approx. $250 to replace on 2002 VW Golf. See link below describing all symptoms included in this post! http://www.doityourself.com/stry/symptoms-of-a-bad- crankshaft-sensor

2011 Volkswagen Jetta having the same issues. Epc light goes on, loss of acceleration, engine shaking. I have replaced the spark plugs twice, coils twice, and full body throttle but none of that has worked. Taken it to four different Volkswagen dealerships and they don't seem to know what's wrong, making up solutions. It seems like a big known issue no one knows the answers to at Volkswagen, which is messed up because its not safe driving down the freeway and it stalls/loses power. Any solid answer would be appreciated!

30

I have a 2009 GTI 2.0 turbo (California). Bought it used with 74K mileage on it. First thing that happened, after having it for 1 month (at 75K), I had to brake really hard to avoid an accident--that's when the EPC light and ABS light came on. On this model, the ABS was recalled. Took to mechanic, they replaced the ABS module. Worked for about 3 weeks. Then EPC light would come on when I was in stop and go traffic (in L.A., that means everywhere!). Then slug mode happened while I was on the fwy....going 20 mph. I pulled over, turned car off and back on and it went away. I have a mechanic near my work, to clear the codes and turn EPC light off. I have a mechanic by my mom's house that does the same, just so I can drive it around town. Both mechanics say that the car engine is mechanically sound. Then the car engine light started to appear just last week. Now the engine shakes while idling and turns off with no warning. Also this: While I test it in the driveway in park, I tapped the gas peddle and the rpm got stuck...it stated going up and up to 5000, 6000 rpm and I didn't even have my foot on the peddle! I had to turn the car off quickly to prevent it from burning up. THEN THIS: One mechanic told me I needed a new gas peddle sensor, so i replaced it, no dice. Then he said, ok, let's look at the throttle body. They took it out and the throttle body gas damper was getting stuck/trapped and would not open and close (this was in my mechanic's hand, after removal of throttle body as he was just messing with it). He is a great mechanic, very curious as to why it would get trapped. So he opened up the throttle body....INSIDE are two gears, one red and one white. They are MADE OF PLASTIC!!! The white gear was half broken off, with no teeth to grasp the other gear to open and shut the damper. He ordered a new part and had to REPROGRAM the freakin' ECM....oh! what is the ECM, you ask? WELL, it is basically the car's computer brain. The whole car...these new cars don't have cables pushing and pulling things oepn and shut anymore. You don't have a gas cable pulling open your fuel injector...you don't have a brake cable pushing your brakes in to stop anymore---it is all done via sensors---little tiny fragile computer sensors that HATE HEAT and HATE DIRT! So why for all that is sacred are tiny fragile computer bits inside a hot and dusty, greasy engine? SO, the ECM...it need to be replaced. So I get one rebuilt. Guess what...no dice. same problems. I AM GOING TO go with what ROBERTO and STORMY said earlier. I have read this ENTIRE blog post and MANY others like it. I am getting rid of this car. I didn't want to spend money on another car...but I see the future and it is grim after reading this. My family has had VW for over 25 years. I had a 1985 GTI, and a 2005 GTI, and my mom had a Passat and we had beetles too. But I am done. These VW guys are crooks. You're telling me they don't know what the problem is? They know very well that these cars are ALL DANGEROUS! If they admitted nothing before the EMISSION SCANDAL, they are not going to tell us that these cars are pieces of crap and then incur the cost in the millions! I'm with Stormy. I had a Toyota Solara (the Camry coupe), it was reliable, fast and energy efficient and didn't give me any problems. I wanted something newer and I wanted a hatchback for my sports equipment. I traded it in for this crap. I also almost died while merging onto a freeway ramp and the car shut off with no warning and no sound. Life is too precious to screw around with this. Boy, am I sorry. All that Toyota every wanted was new tires and an oil change. This is it guys. I'm so done with VW and all German cars. i'm finding myself a nice Honda or Toyota or Mazda. F U VW!!!! NEVER AGAIN!!!!! Peggy B

30

Everyone in the USA: Please report your car problem here so they will force VW to open a recall: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

30

Symptoms of a Bad Crankshaft Sensor http://www.doityourself.com/stry/symptoms-of-a-bad-crankshaft- sensor A crankshaft sensor monitors the rotational speed of your crankshaft and sends this information into your car’s on-board computer. The on-board computer will then adjust fuel delivery and spark timing according to the information coming from the crankshaft sensor. This makes it an important part of your engine system; a bad crankshaft sensor affects not only the engine speed but also the fuel efficiency of your car. Aside from controlling the fuel injection process and ignition timing, crankshaft sensors are also responsible for your car’s emission performance, power output, reliability, and driveability. A crankshaft sensor is composed of two parts—the rotating part and the static part. The rotating part is a toothed disc or wheel that rotates with the engine cam. The static part is the crankshaft sensor itself. There is also a crankshaft sensor equipped with LED lights and gets its reading as the LED light pass through the slots of a disc that is attached to a wheel. Knowing the symptoms of bad crankshaft sensor is important since a bad crankshaft sensor is the first sign of engine failure. Acceleration Problems A crankshaft sensor is responsible for monitoring the rotation of the crankshaft. If the sensor is awry it will send the wrong information into your car’s on-board computer, resulting in the inability of your engine operating system to sync the engine pistons together. This causes poor acceleration and makes your car fail to maintain constant speed. Engine Sputter Since the information relayed by the crankshaft sensor into your car’s on-board computer is used to determine the proper spark timing, a bad crankshaft sensor will relay wrong readings into the computer, affecting the fuel injection process and causing your car engine to sputter. Increased Fuel Consumption Incorrect crankshaft sensor readings leading to spark timing and fuel injection errors does not only cause engine sputter but will also affect the fuel efficiency of your car. Have your car checked for crankshaft sensor problems if it takes you four gallons of gasoline to get from your home to the office instead of the usual two. Engine Stall If your engine stalls at low speeds and you have difficulty in starting your car engine then your car is most likely having crankshaft sensor problems. This is because the crankshaft sensor is responsible for ignition timing. Advantage of Having a Crankshaft Sensor The advantage of having a crankshaft sensor in your car is that you can make do without a distributor, which means less moving engine parts that break down. It is important to have your car checked by a professional auto mechanic when you experience symptoms like engine sputtering, increased fuel consumption, engine stall, and difficulty in acceleration. With a bad crankshaft sensor, your car engine cannot function efficiently and will eventually fail completely. A failing engine is not only costly to repair but dangerous, so it is in your best interest to recognize these symptoms quickly to get the problem repaired.

5

@Delerium I am experiencing EXACTLY the same symptoms you desicribe. This is on a 2016 Golf TSI (1.8 w turbo) with APR Stage 1 and occasionally under hard acceleration where there is wheelspin, I will get the EPC light which scares the hell out of you, but NO loss in power. After I pull over and turn the car off, then restart, the light is gone. Anxious to hear if your dealer has any updates or if you have any additional feedback from the community. Thanks!

I have a 2009 DSG TSI VW Eos. EPC light on, loss of power on Freeway at 120 kilometres per hour. Dangerous!!! Diagnosis cambelt needs to be replaced . I stopped immediately, may have damaged other parts, valves etc ... R40k estimate. NO! ? Help!

10

Add transmition oil...the computer is warning it gets hot when Accelerate.

20

I have a 2009 DSG TSI VW Eos. EPC light came on and had loss of power and would not go faster than 20 MPH. Had towed to VW dealership. Was told the throttle wiring harness pins were damaged. Said wiring harness needed replaced. Cost was $460.00.

10

Hey All, I started having this EPC light come on and off in my 2009 Audi A3. Goof thing is that I have a diagnostic scanner that I travel with. So one time, I actually stopped and ran the scanner on it. It gave me an error code that actually said "Throttle pedal position" suggesting that a sensor had found the throttle pedal out of position. I have not changed anything on the car yet, but just wanted to advise that it would be good if you could read the DTC code with a scanner when the EPC light is one. It may help diagnosing more precisely what the problem is.

50

Hi All, we have a 2011 VW Jetta, same problems as everybody has mentioned :/ the stall, the loss of power, the noise, the engine shaking as it's about to stall, the engine light flickers about less than 10 times, then the EPC light comes/stays on...it all goes away when the car is parked for the day or night and then happens again, intermittently. Must also say this....from when we got it from 1st owner...it always has a little shudder/shake when you're stopped at a light....always...and then the real power loss started after we did our repairs...we've changed the timing belt, the water pump, had the tune up, cause we're second owners at about 119k miles. We'll get a new battery before winter. Very scary when on freeway or busy roads. Whaaaaaaaaaaaat is the problem???

25

2009 VW GTI TSI 2.0, 50k Miles...EPC light came on a few weeks ago, loss of power, etc etc... same problems as most people in the thread have already stated. Brought it in to the VW dealership and had a mechanic run diagnostics on it. 4 items returned on the scan; Throttle Body gasket, ETC sensor, Thermostat, and Water Pump. VW quoted me $1700 to replace. After tools and parts my total cost was about $450 or so, and I fixed it myself back to spec. Car drove for about a week, light comes on again, loss of power again. Started the car again and everything was fine, good idle, and responsive. Not sure what the hell is going on with this car, but if this is happening at 50k miles, will most likely be trading it in soon.

50

You know what else guys and gals..? I have really started paying attn' to when this anomaly happens....it happens between a FULL and 1/2 tank of gas. Once I'm at half tank or below, it does not occur and no engine or EPC lights on dash. Start watching this too. This was NOT happening at all before we had our timing belt and water pump changed due to wear and mileage. I think we will do a couple more minor repairs/replacements, just to insure we've covered all bases...like change the throttle body gasket, ETC sensor, thermostat and I'm also think'g to change the fuel sensor and/or fuel pump all together. Have any of you experienced your VW Jetta, kinda doing a 'shutter/shiver' when you are idling at a traffic light or parked with car still on? Mine does that since we got it used in March. Your thoughts.......

10

Absolutely! I have noticed the EPC light come on and loss of power and steering once a week. And it is after I fill up with gas. Also, sometimes my dash lights go off and sometimes they are on....strange! I will see what happens if I only keep the fuel below 1/2 tank.

2009 Rabbit. Same issue . Mechanic replaced MAP sensor 2 times, and it worked for a few weeks. Then back to EPC light and loss of power. Replaced throttle, worked for a month, now its back to no power.

50

Hello All, just to SHARE an IMPORTANT GOOD piece of INFO. My son, who is a mechanic by trade, put his VW computer software to my car...took his time also in touching, moving, following, checking everything to do with the codes and parts and checking for broken wiring....and his computer determined (for my 2011 VW Jetta) that the IGNITION COIL PACK MODULE needed to be replace. It's the start of second week post repair and I do NOT have the engine light or the EPC light showing up and it does not feels like the engine is going to stall out. So far, so good. Yes, I will be monitoring this very closely and will report back in a few weeks to check in with all of you. I do CAUTION this though...I got the part at AutoZone (because it was on a Sunday) and the AutoZone parts computer WILL give you WRONG info and you MUST have a trained sales person come OUT to your car and LOOK under HOOD to see which part that is...their system keeps glitching to totally DIFFERENT parts that are NOT the one I had replaced. Be VERY careful. This IGNITION COIL PACK MODULE , is a FLAT piece of metal with square and angled corners, has 4 long screws and it has a ridges design on top. It cost approx' $120.- from the store (and my son didn't charge me :) I wish you all well in your EPC problem solving journey.

damn its scary,my epc jst came on day ago nd didnt have any power or brake...still gonna take it to da dealershop n see wat is rong...bt will try some of the suggestions i had u guys say...am driving a polo trendline 2011 model

Bought a 2012 VW CC last October and a month later ran into the same EPC issue. Thus far I've changed both fuel pumps, spark plugs, and fuel injectors due to stalling, list of acceleration then power, and white smoke from the exhaust. Changed the fuel injectors last month, now this week the ABS light came on. Once tested, the right rear speed sensor needs to change. Wish me luck ‍♀️