EPC light came on and lost all power a week ago, having strange problem now. Help please!

Brennan Kilpatrick
145

Asked by Jan 17, 2011 at 03:34 PM about the 2003 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T

about 1 week ago while I was driving on the freeway my EPC light came on and I had to pull onto the shoulder as I lost all acceleration. After restarting the car I got off the freeway ok (did notice a loud blowing sound though) and got to a gas station, then I disconnected and reconnected the negative battery terminal to reset the system.
Since then it hasn't happened again and my car appears to be running completely fine except for one thing: when I give it a lot of gas and really try to accelerate quickly I hear that same loud blowing or sucking noise coming from the engine. I'm assuming this has to do with the turbo since it only happens if I give it a lot of gas, but I'm only guessing here.
VW guy claims he has no idea what the problem is until he looks at it for $85 an hour, anyone have a good idea what the problem might be?

case
710

Hey man im having the same problem with my 03 gti. The light first came a couple weeks ago after there was a noticeable shift in power, light tug, feeling of a slight down shift. I preceded to drive the car home and left it parked for the night. The next day the light was off. However after driving maybe 15 miles the next day the same thing occurred, in addition my vehicle began stalling at stops and the EPC light switched to the check engine light. Again once parked the lights both EPC and Check Engine switched off. For the past week this is recurring every time i drive and again the lights turn off overnight. I have taken it to two mechanics whom state they cannot help because the lights do not stay on. Any suggestions??

Brennan Kilpatrick
145

someone posted on another website I may have a boost leak, but they were referring to how I mentioned I hear a blowing noise when I give it a lot of gas. My lights haven't come back on, but last night my MIL light came on (malfunction indicator light* I believe is what it stands for). Yet again the manual is very vauge about what can cause it, so I don't know whats going on. If I hear anything about the lights I'll post it on hear for you.

mrzee
110

i had the same thing a year a go took in to vw it was fule senser today i have the same problem i need to take it back

Richard Cotton
30

Check the vaccuum lines. mine had the same issue so i replaced my vaccum lines.

Curt Burley
165

Epc light is mostly known to come on when there is emissions probelms. Could be Lambda probe sensor (o2) on cat.

Larry Phanthavong
325

the check engine light deals with emission related problems. if there is a loss in engine power then thats when the epc light comes on.

Emily Thiess
100

i was driving my 2003 vw new super beatle gls turbo today my oil light flashed checked my oil full levels then i later read in my owners manual that do not drive your vw if your oil is full and light flashes seek nearest vw dealership. i went to mcdonalds and on my way back home engine light came on car died on 83 in the middle of the road it most likely is my timing belt or hydro pumps possibly a loose sensor but non the less bought this car 3 days ago so they are fixing and replacing all parts for free downside im without my car for 6 more hours... DO NOT DRIVE IF OIL LIGHT FLASHES AND OIL IS FULL***** MEGA REGRET FOR MY DAY.. YOUR CAR WILL STALL **** JUST TAKE IT TO THE VW DEALERSHIP.... hope thats helpful... - em

Emily Thiess
100

THIS IS A RESULT TO THE STATEMENT I LISTED ABOVE ^^^^ CAR DIED IF LIGHTS FALSH DO NOT DRIVE IT HAD MY CAR 3 DAYS AND OFF TO VW FOR REPAIRS **** JUST LEAVE IT AT HOME OR DRIVE IT TO THE DEALERSHIP BC IT LITTERALLY STALLED GOING 40 MPH THEN NO POWER I COULDNT BRAKE NOR ACCERLERATE PULLED THE E-BRAKE BC YOU DO NOT NEED POWER FOR THAT PUT IT IN PARK HAZARDED IT AND LUCKILY I HAD A TOW TRUCK GET ME OFF THE MIDDLE OF N 83 (KINGERY HGHWY) RUSH HOUR EARLY MORNING HOURS **** ! I WAS SO FREAKING SCARED ** JUST DONT DRIVE IT IF YOU DO TAKE IT TO A DEALERSHIP BC SOMETHING IS WRONG..

Nathan Brooks
300

Once about every week or two when i come outside my home and get in my 05 gti and start it up to go to work my EPC light and my ESP light cut on and stay on. If i start driving it down the road, ill get the loss of power.. I can pull off the side of the road quickly and restart my engine once with my key and the EPC light will cut off but my ESP light stays on.. Start it a second time and the ESP light resets... still trying to trouble shoot this. Im also not going to a VW dealer so they can tell me 6 other things are wrong and need fixing when they are not. haha.. I'll let you know what i find out.

Daragh
300

yes, i am having the same problems with a 08 DSG model, i've had the accelerator cable, accelerator and another valve replaced so far. its still happening! driving along and suddenly the EPC light will come on and i'll loose power, its really dangerous. does anyone have a fix for this problem??

Chad Campodonico
40

Had same problem.. Getting it back today.. They said my second cylinder was missing.. So I'm guessing it was a spark plug.

Tony Palese
50

I have a 2008 city golf done up a bit. When I put a cold air package on it and racing exhaust. The epc and red exclamation mark comes on. I have no loss on power just that lousy beeping warning. I took the negative off and nothing. It came on once. Went away and 2 months later came back

Tony Palese
50

New machine studios

genetix18
60

engine speed sensor

genetix18
60

this happining now to my 2004 audi a4 quattro 1.8t

NewGTIdoc
190

My brand new 2015 GTI (3 weeks old) just had a similar problem when I was out driving it yesterday. In a parking lot on a hill. Car would start for a few seconds then fail to idle and die. The EPC light was on. Thought it was flooded and tried everything including jump starting by rolling down the hill for about 200 yards. Still nothing. We waited about 10 minutes while we read through the manual to see what EPC meant. Just before we called the dealer we tried one last time and it started. We drove straight to the dealership and they are now looking at it. Very disappointing.

sactocharlie56
240

I recently had the same issue with my 2001 beetle, 1.8L turbo. This is how I fixed the problem. The middle gear inside the throttle control module was worn. This wear allowed to much play between the servo motor gear and the throttle plate gear. Computer interpreted this as a slip in the drive train. The middle gear does not rotate 360 degrees. Therefore I lifted the gear out of the assembly and dropped it back in place so the worn areas were no longer in play. No DTC's and operating great for a couple of months.

Thapelo Mtsweni
120

I'm having the same problem with my 2010 polo when I start it it's rev counter is a bit too high and when I try to drive it doesn't pick up speed. The EPC warning light is on it started to last night

Mekoa Farrish
70

As I'm driving my 2011 jetta the battery light comes on and the car just shuts off and it takes about 10 man before it will start back up what could be the problem I need help

diazemil
90

Well Well, we all have the same problem but not solution does anybody had a solution to the EPC light turning on.

sactocharlie56
240

The EPC light has to do with the VW's accelerate by wire system. Any anomaly that's associated with the engine rpm, wheel rotation, throttle peddle position and the throttle control module will most likely illuminate the EPC light. Now you have to figure out which one. Start with pulling DTC codes. If none, then roll the dice. I'd start with the TCM if no codes come up or if fuel metering code P0170 DTC comes up. This comment is entirely based on personnel experience. I have no experience with the other possible causes. If you don't understand what I'm talking about then you need to find a good diagnostic mechanic. Repair shops just start throwing in parts until it's fixed. A good technician can find the data causing the problem then you can determine which part needs replacing. Read my solution I posted a couple of months ago.

Thamir Al-Salihy
110

EPC = Electrical Power Controle, Any fault in any electrical wiring or instrument will make it flash on, But, always there another sign light will flashed on beside the EPC, the other sign light will lead you to the problem,

james1012015
115

It does the same thing for me I just disconnect the negative Batrey wire for about half hour and all lights are shut of and runs again for 300kilometres or so then epc come on. I've been told to replace the pressure regulator hose numerous sensors spark plug wires boost leak. What do I need to change every part on this peace before the electrical power control light stops coming on. Can anyone give me a direct genius answer to what the exact problem is??, I don't want to go spend all my money and have it still having problems

Spieroz
60

Im having the same problem however, my gti lose power and cuts out completely and dies. I took it to a vw dealer and once the plug in their laptop and clear the faults car starts and epc off and all no more faults. This has happened 3 times now and no one knows what is wrong. Please help!!!

james1012015
115

We'll I changed the PVC valve from the air filter, and the PVC hose witch was rotted to nothing and runs well now, haven't had any problems for A couple thousand kilometers now 160$ fix . the end of the PVC hose was completely clogged, mite wana clean that out .

Nornironlad
0

My 2008 EOS has the same issue. They are telling me that it requires a new wiring assembly and a new throttle pedal

Majestic1522
60

Im Currently having the same problem on my Polo 6. The EPC Light comes on and when it idles it has a strange sound from the exhaust and it loses power while im driving it can't even get to 100km/h. So I phoned VW and they told me to take it to the nearest VW dealer tomorrow

BossJ
40

My wife has a brand new 2015 Polo GTI bought in Australia. Driven 1 day only, 160 kilometres and guess what - EPC light came on and needed to be towed to dealer. Still there.

Kaustubh Chaudhary
20

EPC light gets displayed on my 2005 Skoda Octavia vRS every time ever since the car was left dipped in 2 feet of standing water about 2 weeks back (I was sleeping and the entire street got flooded with rain water). Luckily, I was able to get inside (in the process, some water went in too) and move the car out of that place in time. The turbo just won't function as long as the EPC signal remains displayed... Any idea what I should do? Thanks :(

genetix18
60

Went to audi and them check the problem on my 2004 a4 Quattro. Its the brake switch.

Nthabi
10

My Audi A4, 2lt Triptronic B7 was diagnosed 3 times already. I changed the fuel pump, spark plugs, turbo valve, the EPC light went off after a long struggle. But came back again 4 days later. I really don't know any more after spending so much on getting it fixed, but the problem persists. Any reference?

dpac84
10

Same here. My 2014 Gti also randomly came up with EPC warning. The dealer here (Dubai) checked the car for full 10 days! and came back saying it was a valve issue. 3 months later, while driving yesterday i get the same thing. Car wouldnt even start and had to take it back to the dealer. Some Quality German Engineering this must be! Very disappointing indeed.

hlsmith27
50

Was there ever an answer for the EPC problem?

fastcatkerry
10

I have a 2011 Jetta, having the same issue, started out with it idling so low while sitting in traffic and at lights it would stall out and sometimes be hard to start, have to shut it off for upwards of 5 minutes before it would refire. EPC light was always involved. Took it in to the dealer and the first thing they tried after they did the diagnostic was to do a software update on it because it was a cam position sensor issue. After that I almost caused an accident while trying to merge onto the bridge because it lost power and EPC light came on and stayed on, still running and still moving, but just seemed to be in an idle mode or something, would only go 20km/hr in morning traffic, that's not good when trying to merge. EPC light was out when I restarted again after stopping and shutting it off for a while. Took it to the dealer again this morning and the new diagnostic codes say to change the cam position sensor. Luckily I bought the extended warranty or it would be costing me over $250 to fix. Hopefully this time it fixes the problem.

Mulenga Tembwe
10

Answers please

Stormball
0

My 2009 Passat is still in the shop ( a week) first sign was was turning sharp Righ to merge on a sloped freeway entrance code said faulty engine workshop ! Or something like that . Then it began to suddenly just die at stops or driving a low speed . I got a new battery , replaced cam sensor , fuel pump Control module and guess what ? Still did it .... What is it ????

Dlaila24
0

Heyoooooo! I might have an answer. I unfortunately had this issue yesterday and spent more on towing it than service. My issues turned out to be the belt had ripped to shreds. My mechanic replaced it, charged the battery and voila! My baby's back haha

Mitchigan12
0

Ok, I'm having an EPC problem right now too. I'm going to do a trial and error this weekend to fix the EPC. After reading a lot of articles and websites. People have come up with a couple reasons EPC pops up. 1. Throttle body. I'm going to pull it out and simply clean it this weekend. 2. Speed sensor. 3. Brake switch. 4. Throttle control sensor. I'm going to do it in that order. I will update once solved!

Mitchigan12
0

I cleaned my throttle body this weekend, pretty simple job, so far no issues.

Delerium
0

I wish I had an answer? My doc light started coming on after an APR stage 1 flash. I have a 2014 Jetta se TSI 1.8 litre (gas engined car). My EPC light comes on under aggressive acceleration. It doesn't always come on with any predictable pattern. NO other lights accompany it coming on and my car DOES NOT GO INTO LIMP MODE. I have zero loss of power. As soon as I turn the car off....it is reset? Zero codes were thrown. It was looked at for an hour or 2 at the VW-AUDI-PORSCHE dealership (the APR dealership is at the VW dealership...all the same folks). APR came up with 2 beta versions of thier APR stage 1 tune to try as this had never happened before the tune was done. Other then the EPC light staring at me, I am not looking ANY performance and don't ever get a check engine light nor has it left me stranded so until I see that it's hurting the car, I'm just going try to ignore it. I'm still going to look for answers but perhaps letting whatever it is fail, might be the only way to fix this? Not sur if this helps. I'll be following this and hope to all that an answer is found.

Wibergr
10

Spark plugs. My 2010 tiguan had the same problem. Changed the spark plugs fixed the issue. Light will stay on until it's reset.

Jamieleexx
0

I have a 2012 Passat and I'm running into the same problems. I have an EPC light on as well as a check engine light , got the codes read , came out to be the throttle body sensor.. When I drive it the car won't go over 30mph and then most of the time I step on the gas and have no acceleration what so ever , I have to pull over turn off the car and turn it back on to be able to drive it. Help !