Alarm acting weird, car won't start...

80

Asked by Sep 09, 2014 at 04:44 PM about the 2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T

Car turns on, but doesn't start. My remote key sometimes unlocks and locks the doors,
however seldom unlocks the trunk. Any ideas?

33,795

It could be the anti theft system. Your showing all the symptoms.

80

Is there a way to disable the alarm system to see if the car will start? -- I charged the battery and the car started several times normally like usual and the key/locks worked almost 100% of the time. However a couple times when it started it slowly engaged, dragging a little before starting as if there was little juice in the battery. Now this morning the locks still almost work 100% of the time, but now all I hear is a click when attempting to turn on the engine. Is it possible the battery has slowly lost it's voltage and is now below the requirements that'll kick the starter over? ### I need to change the thermostat as well. Is there a "how to vid?" I can't seem to find one. :-( 2002 vw golf gti 1.8t

9,315

well if your changing the thermostat stat its best to replace the water pump pulleys, hardware and timing belt at the same time if it has not been done in over 90k of its last change. and as for the alarm have the car battery taken out and have it tested at your local auto zone or Canadian tire. this will also reboot your cars computer and make sure you have the code to reunlock your car stereo. this will tell you if the battery is the problem or not.