Tail Lights Won't Turn Off

Asked by Jul 04, 2013 at 12:00 PM about the Nissan 300ZX

1986 Nissan 300 ZX - I did not drive my car for a week. I came home to a battery that was dead. Got it started but now the brake lights are always on even when the car is off.

Unplug brake light switch on back of brake pedal. If lights go out switch could be out of adjustment or need to be replaced.

Try stepping on the brake pedal several times to unstick the brake light switch until you can get the switch replaced. HTH -Jim

David Porath

i had the exact same problem and the problem that i found was there is a plastic plug that goes into the brake pedal now they dont sell these so i went to the parts store and bought some plastic plugs and put it into the hole yours probly came out the same as mine did check it its at the top of the brake pedal you will need a flash light

Good answer David. I forgot about the stopper on the pedal assembly. That's probably what has happened.

Great post thank you, I was about to disassemble the switch to test etc. I simply placed a 1 inch plastic furniture glide where the nylon spacer was missing, it was adhesive on one side so it was simple, actually used 2 one for the speed control switch......thanks again

Hi there. I'm a newbie and def not mechanically inclined. I'm having there same problem and I can't get the part anywhere. I keep hearing of quick fixes. Can someone explain to me exactly what and how to fix this. When I look at the pedal I cannot tell what exactly I need to fix. As in there is a plastic grommet at the top. Of the brake pedal. Arm and just above the pedal. Help lol

on the top of the brake pedal between the brake light and cruise control switches there is supposed to be a nylon spacer they can break up I found mine in pieces on the floor. I placed a self adhesive pad about 1 inch square (furniture glider) on top the pedal, works fine