BRAKE LIGHTS WON'T TURN OFF HOW DO I FIX THIS?

Asked by Jul 05, 2009 at 09:51 PM about the 1991 Nissan 300ZX

MY 91 IS ALL ORIGINAL EVEN THE FUSES WITH 63,000 MI. I WENT TO TURN MY CAR OFF ONE DAY AND THE BRAKE LIGHTS WOULDN'T TURN OFF. WOULD JUST LIKE TO KNOW HOW TO FIX THE PROBLEM PLEASE SO I CAN DRIVE MY CAR.

145

Slim chance that you have the same problem as I did, because it's so easy to figure out, but it's worth a shot. A while ago, my '91's brake lights wouldn't go off most of the time. They only would when I pulled BACK on the brake pedal. Solution: had my brake pedal adjusted and it hasn't done it since. If that's not it, it's probably a bigger electrical issue that I couldn't help with.

65

i had the same issue with my 88, and i discovered that the little tabs on the break arm that push the switch that disengages the brake light circut had disinigrated and therefore the circut remained whole whether the pedal was suppressed or not! hopefully thats your issue, easy fix! i just made my own tabs

30

just fixed mine for this, there is a cable behind brake, brake light switch, can buy at auto zone

10

wat did u do...n what r the lil tabs called?

20

The brake light switch is either bad or needs to be adjusted. It should be located above the brake pedal just below the pivot point. There will be a nut on either side of the switch that allows for adjusting the switch plunger. The switch is normally closed and held open by the brake pedal. When you apply pressure to the brake, the pedal moves away from the switch plunger and closes the circut. Hope this helps!

20

I bought felpt pads with 3M adhesive! Instant fix! Make sure you take that circuit box off right! There should be 2 srews that come out that allows you to move the box over to exspose the pivot arm on the break pedal!