need to replace carburetor on a 1974 monte carlo, need suggestions

15

Asked by Dec 09, 2015 at 03:09 PM about the 1974 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

I'm running the stock 4 barrel carburetor,  the engine is a 350,  i believe 5.7l. I converted it to electronic ignition when i had the motor rebuilt in 2010, so no more points. I was looking at autozone and saw they had an edelbrock 1406 600fm carb in stock.  I'm just looking for a straight replacement, just install and ready to go type thing.  I'm just not experienced enough in this field to know what i need to buy.

60,225

A 600cfm with vacuum secondaries would be a good choice.

60,225

For more performance I would look at pairing up that new carb with an Edelbrock aluminum intake manifold.

92,535

What is wrong with the stock Quadrajet? If it can be rebuilt I would go that way, that way you won't have to mess with linkage hookups and readjusting them for a different carb. And the rebuild kits now all the kits have the new components for this garbage the call fuel today. HTH

60,225

There is nothing wrong with a Quadrajet provided you have the skill to rebuild it or know a good shop that can. They also can be warped, rendering them useless.

15

my friend insists the carb is bad, i traded it in for a rebuilt one and paid 125.00 and still have the same problem. car takes a long time to start, like 20sec of nonstop cranking before it starts. It also randomly stalls on me, will run fine for a few blocks, then randomly will stall when i step on the gas after being stopped at a stop sign, then i gotta pump the gas to get it started again. I've already replaced fuel pump, ignition control module, spark plug wires, new distributer cap, coil, choke spring, alternator. At this point im playing the change and hope game and wasting money, this carb is the last thing im gonna try changing, my friend insists it has to be the carb even though i have my doubts, but im gonna buy it just to see, and even if its not the problem i'll have a new carb.

60,225

Well your carb is old so it can't hurt to try and replace it. $125 is not that bad. If your original carb is a Quadrajet you may need an adapter.

60,225

The stalling at lights is probably the accelerator pump on the carb.

15

jthx for the responses, gonna look into the adapter.