I have a 2003 Monte Carlo 3.8 V6. Do I need to replace the engine if the head gasket is blown and it has overheated?

Asked by Jun 12, 2015 at 11:17 AM about the Chevrolet Monte Carlo

I bought a 2003 Monte and was told nothing was wrong with it. I've had it 6 mo. and it
started overheating. We replaced the thermostat and flushed the radiator. it ran fine for
2 wks and started overheating again. I was told by a mechanic that the head gasket
needed to be replaced. Then he came back and said that since it overheated and ran
hot (for like 1 min before we shut it off) that I will need a new engine because once the
alluminum engines are worthless after running hot. Please let me know if I need a new
engine or if I'm being taken.

1,485

If the vehicle only overheated for "like 1 min" like you said then the replacement of the head gasket should fix the problem and a replacement engine should not be necessary. If the motor has been overheated numerous times then there could be internal damage. It sounds like you don't feel comfortable with this mechanic so I suggest you find a mechanic that you can feel comfortable with.

The car runs fine, no coughing or sputtering, just that it overheated and its apparent the I have a coolant leak somewhere, but we are having a very hard time determining where it is leaking because it is not coming out of the exhaust or under the car. Other than the coolant level being low, there is no evidence of a leak. I have stopped driving the car until the problem is found. Any suggestions?

1,485

There s a u/v dye that you can put into the coolant to check for leaks. Most mechanics should have some. This might help you locate a leak.