I have a 2000 Monte Carlo SS, the Low coolant light is on,I checked the reserve & radiator, it's full. Open hood, engine's hot. Need help please!

Asked by Oct 27, 2013 at 12:53 PM about the 2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS FWD

I have a 2000 Monte Carlo SS, the Low coolant light is on,I checked the reserve &
radiator, it's full.  Open hood, engine's hot. RPM gauge is almost at 1, and you can
feel that it's idling high.  Changed thermostat, flush & replaced transmission gasket.  
Also, my transmission is shifting hard, not slipping.  I did some research, and it's all
coming to the conclusion that it has something to do with the vacuum hose, but the
radiator hose is very hot to the touch. Need help please!

26,035

you have to find out HOW hot your engine is running- an engine will feel hot and still be at normal operating temperature- you had work done to it, but you don't say why- did your gauge show the engine was running hot? (or a warning light?) who changed the thermo? was it you or a mechanic? I do not understand how a cooling system problem can be related to a slipping tranny, or a high idle problem- it sounds to me like your Chevy is 13 years old and needs to have several issues addressed by a competent mechanic

299,445

The low coolant light might just be a coolant level sensor that is faulty or dirty.

480

ow coolant sensor or probe failure replace it

480

Definitle coolant sensor or probe

My Z34 had that problem - idling a little high - running a little ruff - and low coolant light on - turned out be be a bad spark plug wire feeding stray signals! New wires fixed all the strange symptoms!