Check engine light keeps returning

30

Asked by Jul 12, 2009 at 09:15 PM about the 2005 Toyota Tundra

I have an 05 Tundra V8 with 47k miles and the darn check engine light keeps coming back on. I have taken it to the dealer 5 times and every time they can't find a problem. If I disconnect the negative batt cable for a few seconds, the light goes off but comes back 3-4 weeks later. It sounds like a false reading but I'm getting fed up with this problem. Before I take it back to the dealer, does anyone have a clue as to what's going on?

13,005

If the light is on - there should be codes If there are NO codes the computer is losing power If there are codes what are they

Best Answer Mark helpful
30

Yes, there have been codes everytime. The last time it registered 5 codes and all the suspect parts were diagnosed and all proved to be in perfect working order. For some reason, I think the charcoal cannister keeps appearing as one of the codes.

13,005

Clear codes with the battery Next time the light goes on - Go to autozone Immediately and have the codes read. ( Free Service) What is happening is one code is causing multiple other ones and makes it very difficult to diagnose.

30

I have the extended warrantee so It doesn't cost me a penny to take it to the dealer but its getting to be repetitious. The light came on recently so I took it to Advanced Auto Parts and got a free reading. The code was PO442 vac leak. The gentleman at the store said it is usually associated to a bad gas cap which I had replaced a week after I drove the truck off the dealership about 2 years ago and the problem didn't return till about a year ago.

30

Forgot to add to my post that I purchased a new gas cap for $16 so hopefully the problem is gone, if not I will be back to the dealership and a complaint to Toyota will be made.

13,005

P0442 is a EVAP issue which the dealer if they have the proper equipment should be able to diagnose relatively easily. If not take it to a certified Emissions repair technician in your area - ( He will have a smoke machine ) and get it fixed and have Toyota pay the bill :)

30

The gentleman at Advance AP also mentioned the smoke test. I'll see what happens with the gas cap. Thanks for your input.

15

bet you money its the o2 sensor like it is on most vehicles with that mileage........it think it's a conspiracy with car owners to make it come on near 36,000 miles so that you will either buy extended warranty or bring it into the garage to get it fixed and pay 90 dollars for a o2 sensor when you can get online and get a fake o2 sensor for 95 and never replace it again.

13,005

Stick to bikes my friend :)

3,785

Do you have abs sensors on car truxk

3,785

The vaccume canister has valves on it that go bad what dealer are you going to they schould know better than that ask for team leader or shop foreman to look at car. What location are you Under where gas tank is canister.might still be covered.

3,785

Stopover filling when you get gas your doing this gas runs down return line at the cap get into valve never dry out, trust me .

40

We have a 05 Toyota Tundra V8 2 wheel drive whos check engine light will no stay off no matter what we fix. We replaced the ECM (computer) with a refurbished one. Replaced the 02 sensor on the passenger side catalytic converter (twice). Replaced the spark plugs and all of this via the advise of which ever repair shop has diagnosed the problem. Toyota just told us it was again the 02 sensor and 3 miles after we replaced it the Check Engine Light came back on. Help. I am elderly and disabled and CANNOT keep having to spend this money on a problem that no one can seem to fix.

we are having the same problem

Has there been anyone out there with a check engine light issue that eventually went off with one of the solutions we are discussing? If so, which solution was it because I am about broke from paying to replace sensors on this 2005 Tundra V8.

Just had the codes read yesterday at a reputable shop: The guy told me the ones that say "Not Completed" are the failure codes. 1. Misfire Status = Complete 2. Fuel Status = Complete 3. Comprehensive Status = Complete 4. Catalyst Status = Complete 5. Heated Catalyst Status = Not available 6. AC Status = Not available 7. EGR Status = Not available 8. Oxygen Heater Status = Not Complete 9. Evaporative Status = Not Complete 10. Secondary Air Status = Not Complete 11. Oxygen Status = Not Complete

The dealership took two hours of testing, but, they got it right & were reasonable. Three different testings from other souses all were saying oxygen sensor,so bought the sensor at auto zone ,easy fix,put it in in ten minutes myself. light was off for a few days & back on again, also using a lot of gas , fuel was too rich. What had happened was that it was the oxygen sensor but, the one from auto zone was not compatible the the original part. Dealer ship replaced with the right part & its working great.

That's what the mechanic from the reputable shop told me. He said the only guaranteed to work sensors were those sold by Toyota. They cost more but maybe that's because they actually work.

Just curious: How much did that dealership charge you to put it in?

Sensors tell the computer somethings wrong, but when the problem is the sensor, there is nothing to tell you that you have a faulty sensor.