Check Engine Light

325

Asked by Jan 11, 2009 at 07:49 PM about the 2000 Toyota Tundra

My truck has a little over 80,000 miles on it.  I service it regularly (and always put the gas cap on straight and tight), but the check engine light comes on.  I don't want to go to the dealer and have to pay for them to pay for a light that doesn't correlate to anything.  Does anyone have a way to clear out the check engine light without paying?

235

The light corelates to something... Call around to dealers first.. Alot more dealers will check free these days and the dealer has the right tools and training.. Second way is parts houses.. Many of the Autozones, Napa, etc will check codes for free.. They will give you the code and what it means.. But understand the code alone may not be the cause.. meaning might say Oxygen Sensor code but it might not need a sensor.. There is a long diagnosis tree that much be followed to try and isolate the cause.. Could be a sensor but could be other stuff giving the sensor readings that are out of the paramenters causing the lite to come on.. Depending on your states inspection rules may have to get fixed before passes inspection.. Goodluck..

Best Answer
325

Thanks Chris. You rock.

245

Make sure you put the cap on so that it goes past the first click... I do this on my 07 Tundra and no check light. :)

225

go to any autozone and they'll run codes for free. Other wise chech the manual. I know on older models you could jumper the diognostic box under the hood. I'm not sure Tundras have that. Personally I went to harbor frieght and bought a cheep code reader.

80

I have a 2000 Tundra and the check engine light comes on as soon as the gas tank is less than half full. I had it reset several times but it always comes back on at 1/2 tank. I can not find a leak and the truck runs great. I've replaced the gas cap and always make sure it is tight.

225

I don't think the 2000 tundra has a system where the engine light comes on when the gas cap is loose. I have a 2001 and I've forgotten to put it on and driven 200 miles before I knew that it was in the bed of the truck. I would clean the throtlebody really well and if you can find it they make a spray for the mass airflow sensor, I would clean that too. As the fuel gets low, there could be something throwing the air/fuel mix off and that would make the light come on. Just a thought. I'm sure it's not your cap and I bet by now you've figured that out.

10

You are so right, while driving from Miami to the SF Bay area, I driven out a full tank of gas before I discovered the gas cap was missing, filled up many times without the gas cap and drove home without the gas cap and "check Engine" lite did not come on..

10

I got 2011 toyota tundra and the lights come on when they have 80,000 miles on it, and the toyota dealer told me the fuil filler neck tank or the vapor canister can be one of does things, they told me thay can fix it but it cost to much. I dont know if that awnser will help you or not.