Why Isn't My Keyless Entry Working?

50

Asked by Feb 02, 2012 at 01:09 AM about the 2008 Honda Civic

Hey, I'm having an issue with my Keyless Entry. It stopped working, and the doors won't unlock, and the engine won't start, or even make a noise. Can I assume that the engine isn't working becuase the keyless entry is still engaged? What do I do to fix it? Help Guys!

-Pirate-

50

Could it be a fuse? If so, which one would I check?

705

Dead battery??? If the engine doesn't make a noise at all..... Do the lights on the instrument cluster illuminate when the key is turn to the "run" position? If the engine cranks but does not start, my next question would be "does the green key symbol flash or turn off during engine cranking? If the light stays on or flashes there may be a problem with the "immobilizer system". The keyless entry problem is less important then the engine won't start issue.

50

Lights DO NOT illuminate on the dashboard either when i turn the to the ON position. The engine does not crank up. We did try to jump start the car - charging the battery for 15 min - nothing happened either.

705

Start with checking the main fuses under the hood, ie 80Amp, 60Amp etc etc

4,495

take the battery to autozone or someplace and have them load test it...sounds like a bad battery to me

4,495

also is the car in park?

50

It turned out to be a dead battery. The interesting part was we could not get it jump started using a non pickup truck / sedan car. However, when we tried to jump start it using a pick up truck (tow car) - the engine started. Also, for other's with the same issue - right near the transimisson (gear) stick is a socket - you can push your car key in to release the car from park. Thanks for all your responses.

40

How did you get the hood open or doors open to get your boast? And why did battery die. My car is 1.5 years old and I have the same problem.

40

This sucks, thank god I didn't have a international flight to catch.

50

Delnorth: We used the spare key (not the keyless) to manually open the car door & then the hood. Not sure why the battery died so bad - too much time sitting in the garage maybe. We had to eventually get a new battery.

20

My car was purchased 3 days ago. It has a keyless entry and I have not been able to start this car. I am doing all the right things but my car won't start. Can this be reversed back to the ordinary keyed entry?