Why is my heater not working well in my Honda civic

Asked by Dec 06, 2012 at 07:26 PM about the 2005 Honda Civic LX

I have a 2005 Honda civic. My heater only works when I
drive about 30 mph or more, but not always. Sometimes
even while moving it will blow non heated air.It blows cold
air at stop lights or when going slow.

Last year I replaced the thermostat and it seemed to work
okay for a month, then started this nonsense again.
Anything else I can try?

Hi Stacie, It sounds like your Heater Core is going bad or is bad. Any mechanic should be able to tell you in about 5 minutes. They are hard to replace so I would let them do it. Your car is a Honda so you can get tons of miles out of them so it would be worth the investment. Thanks, Mr. Shannon

Best Answer Mark helpful

I think the air duct to the heater core is not adjusted correctly.

Hi.. I think the engine is broken head gasket

so many options for fault...lol there are many things to try...first have you ever had a problem over heating? has the car ever over heated (if you let it sit in park and idle for 20 or so minutes) to determine if it is a water pump or head gasket...be sure to check all your fluids. a way to see if the heater core is leaking, is to (on the passenger side of the car pull up the carpet, i mean even the insulated black mat, and feel with your hand for moisture, or water, if it is wet, then the core is leaking..i can talk you through how to check if it is clogged, how competent are your mechanical skills? it can be as simple as the actuator door being stuck, so relax and dont stress too early....let me know if i can help more.

You can have the heater core back flushed also to improve the flow through it.

If your car isn't overheating or losing radiator fluid, have the mechanic check the thermostat. If it is stuck open your heater will not work properly. You may have gotten a bad one that didn't last long.

First check your engine coolant, it might be low. If the coolant level is ok then you may have a vacuum leak in heating controls. The heating system uses vacuum pressure to move the heat control valve. The higher the engine rpm the more vacuum the engine produces. This could explain why the heater seems to work when going over 30 mph. If your car heater blows cold air and your engine temperature is at normal operating temperature the problem can not be a thermostat or a bad head gasket. Good luck.

I just needed to replace the thermostat. I had done that once but I guess I put in a bad one and it stopped working very quickly. My most recent one has lasted well over a year and my car is doing very well.

Hi guys ...Cars heating system and car radiator cooling system are same thing but performs different operations ..first the heat which is generated under your car engine is carried off by the coolant while the water pump ..works to circulate it over the radiator and at the hose neck usually there are two sensors one to detect if your coolant is hot enough so that it can kick the fans ON ,the other were it gives your car a signal to lower the RPM when u r car calms down specially in the morning under cold start when its heated enough and the rpm drops ... 1000 rpm this how the heating system of your car's operatesto control temp so that u r engine block does not break open cuz of access heat within .. Now when you turn ON heat on a cold morning it takes a while to heat your car needs to warm up and using engine heat the coolant in your car heats up and when u turn on u r heat vent now the coolant which is hot rather flowing straight to your radiator where it cool's down ..would flow through u r heater core under your cars dash board and goes to radiator and that's how u get the hot air ..hope this helps !! Mustafa!!

heater core

With mine, it was a blown head gasket. Hondas can be very subtle.

Check your thermostat sounds like its stuck open so your fluid is constantly flowing never fully warming

in frigid 10 degree air, can having too much water to Antifreez ratio cause, ok hot air on the interstate, then get off & first no hot air, then temp light goes up kinda quickly. i need to add some straight antifreeze right?. '01 civic

then temp guage goes up guickly

Hi there; sorry to jump in on this thread but I have an issue with my heater in my Honda Civic too. After a bad crash when a Tesco junneraut decided to drive into the side of us when driving a few years ago, the car was fixed (in retrospect I would say it was a write off ..) the heating aways made a noise when it was used (and air con). It used to make so much racket that I called the old insurer and told them they had not remedied the issues post crash and of course they denied it. I stumbled on with this racket when the car heating/cooling system was being used because a mechanic told me that it would be a massive deal to fix it because of the interior design of the car (which made sense as it is all built up and looks impossible to get behind/into) - and now the heating/air con has broken 100%.....I have now finally had time to do some research here and am reading the exact opposite of what the mechanic told me (who was doing my MOT at the time). It sounds as if this car/model has an Achilles' heel with the heating.....I am going to take it in tomorrow but any advice or more shared views much appreciated. Thank you. Anita

I HAVE A 09 HONDA CIVIC 2.2 CTDI WITH A LACK OF HEAT FROM THE BLOWERS IN COLD WEATHER I am having issues with the time it takes for the car to heat up. After conectiong my phone to the ECU I have found my civic will warm up from 10 to 50 Degrees C in 3 minutes as long as the revs are at 2000rmp or less. If I take the revs to 3000 the temperature can go from 70 to 50-40 in 30 seconds. I have changed the thermostat and checked levels etc. but I have not yet resolved the issue. This is a real pain as in winter temperatures I can drive for 25 mins before I get real heat from the blowers. It will help that I now know to keep the revs low in order to warm the car up where as last winter I was keeping the revs high to attempt to warm the car a bit quicker.

Buy a new 2017 Honda

Heater modulator actuary (heater door motoer under dash) - 4 #15 hexigon nut head/screws - remove old motor and replace. Remove Glove box with your hands and you'll see the white or black "motor" . Close vent near left passenger foot area. Before you start watch YouTube video. I haven't found it on here.

Oooops. Heater door modulator on my 1998 Honda Civic DX unlike my 2003 Saturn Ion. Please disregard my theoretical fix Flush out heater core, maybe.

hello guys....i would like to share my experience here.....Bensin or petrol cars hearters are always working quickly than diesel car heaters. One thumb rule is "heater always work good when car engine is fully warm". In extreme winter or in cold weather diesel engine always takes time to warm up as compare to bensin cars regardless you have new or very new car. but ofcourse newer cars are more efficient than olders ones......just calm down and use the way it is......

I have a 2017 Honda CRV and the car takes forever to warm up - brought it in to the dealer and it checked out normal - so normal heating in a Honda CrV sucks :)

I have a 2017 Crv with the same issue. The dealer says it’s because the engine size is too small for Canadian winters.....trade it on a Chevy Equinox!

Hello everyone. Maybe I can get someones help here sine I have tried almost everything to get my heat working. I have a 2012 Civic. when I turn on the heat I get cold air all the time. So this is what I have done so far. Replaced the Radiator, Replaced the Hear Core which was leaking, then still no heat. So I replaced the Thermostat , still no heat. Replaced the Water pump and flushed the system 4 times. Everything seems to be circulating just right. you can feel the return coming in hot and the fans kick on when the radiator senses it. Dont know where to go from here. Pretty much stuck. New blower was also just installed and still no heat at all. All i get is cold air. If anyone can help it would be mush appreciated. Thank you

I Have a 2016 Civic with the small turbo engine. Love the car, great fuel economy and great acceleration. Only problem, that little efficient turbo cannot produce enough heat for cold North Dakota winters. Okay on the highway, horrible around town. At low speeds and idling it won't heat adequately. Had it to the dealer twice, they are aware of the problem but Honda says it "meet specs."