Why does my car cut off when I put it into gear

Asked by Apr 07, 2013 at 03:46 PM about the 1995 Pontiac Sunfire 4 Dr SE Sedan

My car starts up with no problem  its  just  when I  put it into gear it cuts right off   I  was  able to  get it
home  by changing gears  with  my foot on the brake  and  gas  and  it did  fine  coming  home  but  
when I  stopped  it  cut right off.  Then  I started it  it  started  right  back up  but cut off when I  put it  
in reverse or  drive.. What  could  this  be??   it's  an  automatic btw

251,385

My guess is the Transmission shift soleniod is faulty. These tend to fail on the GM cars around 100K. If you can get the car to run in park and neutral, but put it into drive or reverse and it stalls without giving it gas, that what it is. The transmission torque convertor is locking up at idle speed instead of at 40mph plus putting a drag on the motor.

8,685

I have seen it where the torque converter solenoid failed in the closed position, so the converter stayed locked at all times. As long as the car was moving, the car would run, but stop and it would die immediately. It was a fairly inexpensive fix, too.

180

Michael, can you tell me what is involved in this type of repair? I have the same issue on my 2003 Mercedes clk

300

No, that does not sound like you solenoids, sounds either like a mass flow thing or could be a TPS thing because a solenoid would lock trans, solenoids only allow trans to shift and stay in !..

70

Thats incorrect greg because i have the same issue on a carbed mustang and theres no mass air flow or tps on them, its more less a vacuum actuator on transmission or a broken Vacuum line

320

hi so what is the solution to the one where i put in gear and cuts

140

I Have a 95 mazda doing the same thing but is a standard .. I rev it up just fine in neutral and its fine going in reverse but any forward gears it cuts out really bad and misses idk what is going on

30

I want to know

40

TPS is d causes of engine cutting down whenever gear is put in drive because trans will only allow it to change gear.

30

I have a 01 grand caravan, my p c sensor needs changing. It only cuts off when put in after starting it.I have to start it up,put in reverse then back to Dr ,then its OK.

70

I have a 02 eclips n it cuts off when I put it n drive

70

I have a ,93 jeep grand cherokee 5.2 318,& ive changed fuel pump,fuel filter,TPS,plugs,plug wires,now my prob is it idles good in p&n but when i put it n D orR it don't wont to go,it starts not wanting to take gas,& just to get it home,i had to pump the gas peal fast as i could,it cuts out bad,dose any1 kw what could b the problem??

10

Before you try anything. Start the car, open the hood disconnect the battery. If it goes off check your alternator

60

it is a mass flow sensor or if its a carburetor turn up the air screw