It is difficult for my car to go into first gear. My dad says it might be just the cable. others have said the transmission all together. Any opinions?

75

Asked by Jun 30, 2013 at 03:58 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Sunfire GT Coupe

First gear is hard to go into, but 2-R are fine and seem relatively easy to go into. Any
ideas what this might be and how I can fix it?

25,425

I would see if you can locate a shop nearby that can give you a free assessment of the issue. It might be the cable, BUT it might ALSO be an early sign the transmission needs repair/rebuilding...assuming this hasn't already been done. On a 12 year old car with the original tranny, this wouldn't too far fetched, assuming you've got the average mileage for a car of that year on her.

4,565

Does not sound like something you would want to tackle in your garage or driveway! Probably a wear issue internal to the trans like a worn out syncro gear. Like Racer X said, best to take it to a reputable shop for their opinion.

75

Okay then thanks

21,795

long ago, I just developed the habit of going into 2nd gear then up to 1st- slips right in- try it- might work for you- how does this work? not exactly sure, but it sure works- I always think it is slowing the synchros down by slipping into an easier slot first- maybe one of the wiser gurus can explain it- same for going into reverse- 2nd then R- never grinds, always slides right in, whatever car I'm driving- it's just a habit now-