My sunfire was leaking a brownish gassy smelling fluid by the driver side rear wheel is it brake fluid? Or tranny fluid mixed with gas?

Asked by Mar 01, 2011 at 01:22 PM about the 1997 Pontiac Sunfire 2 Dr GT Coupe

My car is a 97 but with a 98 engine in it! II just bought it yesterday knowing it was a bit of a fixer upper. I have to replace the heater fan and coil as it was removed from the car. Then I have to replace all brakes and drums. Then I was across the street from my house doing laundry the car was reving a lot so I topped all fluids up and then that's when I noticed the huge leak just past my door by the wheel. Not sure what's the problem! Other than when I bought it everything was bo

I was not quite finished yet. But everything was bone dry. The tranny fluid was nil. So that was the first to be filled and now I'm having issues. HELP ME please!!!!

265

The fuel and brake lines run by the right rear wheel and since you said it smelled like gas it is probably gas.the transmission lines/cooler are all towards the front of the car so its not likely trans fluid

25

brake nd gas lines run up drivers side bown wheel cylinder fill is on right side [pasinger]

265

sorry brain wasnt working!! fuel and brake lines on left side.