2001 Pontiac firebird high beam problem.

Asked by Jan 19, 2017 at 11:39 PM about the 2001 Pontiac Firebird Base

I have a 2001 Pontiac Firebird and it appears my
high beam toggle switch is not even attached to
the metal rod thing on the inside. I can push the
small rod to turn them on and off. But that's a pain.
Does anyone know a link for the whole
component?

69,295

The switch itself is adjustable. Loosen the bolts that secure it to the lower steering column and slide the switch upwards until the rod is seated in the "cup" on the dimmer switch (the part you have to push to get the high beams to work). If the rod is disconnected from the turn signal stalk you'll have to remove the upper steering column collar and see what's going on. Disconnect the negative (-) battery cable and wait 5 minutes for the airbag system to discharge. Now you can safely do the repair. I'd suggest having a repair manual that has an exploded view of the steering column for reference. This is old school GM so you'll need a couple of special tools. A TORX bit for the airbag module, a steering wheel puller, a lock plate compressor, and a pair of snap ring pliers. When you remove the airbag module remove it from the vehicle and place it face up on a solid surface. Also carry the airbag module with the front of it facing AWAY from your body. When you remove the airbag clock spring do NOT rotate the center of it. You can carefully put a piece of masking tape across the front of it to keep the center in the proper position. Please follow these instructions to prevent accidental deployment of the airbag module and damage to the clock spring. When an airbag module is removed from a vehicle it is considered unstable and must be handled with care!! HTH. -Jim