When 2000 Lincoln LS air conditioner is turned ON, car overheats.

Asked by Feb 22, 2014 at 12:45 PM about the 2000 Lincoln LS V8

Engine temperature is in the middle of the gauge, completely horizontal.
Air conditioner has been operation great. However, day before yesterday, while I was driving on the expressway, speed 65mph, the High Engine Temperature alarm came on. Engine temperature gauge was almost maxed out.

Turned the a/c off and slowed down on the access road and limped home at about 40mph. Temperature gauge came down to just a little below 75%.

Upon inspection of the car at home, I found no water or lubrication leaks anywhere around the engine. Non, anywhere.

Water in reservoir was correct and at its correct level.

Drove the car today, a/c OFF, engine temperature gauge, as always, complete level.
As a test, when I got back toward home, I turned the a/c ON. Within a couple of miles, the temperature gauge started to climb. I turned the a/c off and the gauge came back to a little above my normal reading of horizontal.

56,855

Can you remove the radiator cap and check the coolant level in the actual radiator? Sounds like you're just low enough on coolant that the added heat load from the air conditioning is enough to cause overheating. HTH. - Jim