The Clutch failed on my 1973 VW Beetle

Asked by Jan 28, 2016 at 02:15 AM about the 1973 Volkswagen Beetle Hatchback

The clutch failed on my VW Beetle. Does it work with a cable or is it hydraulic? If it is hydraulic where do I find the reservoir and slave cylinder?

92,835

Cable driven clutch release, that's why they can be a bit jumpy until you learn how to feel them out.

Thank you very much. Is it difficult to replace?

92,835

For a novice it would be, but for a VW tech it would not. The engine has to come out, have the flywheel machined, replace the clutch, pressure plate and the throwout bearing, reinstall the engine. When I was working on these, it actually took longer to get the flywheel surfaced than the complete R&R of the engine.

In this case I believe that it is the cable that snapped, so I will only need to replace the cable. Surely it won't be necessary to R&R the engine?

92,835

Your right, you do not have to remove the engine to replace the clutch cable, do you know where it broke? If it is the normal spot it is right where it exits the body just above the transaxle. This is not too hard of a job, it will take you longer to get the clutch adjustment right than to do the cable replacement. HTH

Ok, so it's straight forward then. Remove the old and feed the new one through. Do I feed it from the front to the back or visa versa. Sorry about all the questions but it is my first time and thanks for all the advise in advance.

92,835

Front to back, you will see how it goes once you get started.

Great , thanks for your help, have a great day.

92,835

Remove the back part first, then pull the rest of the broken cable out forwards, then if you have some compressed air blow out the channel, it helps with some of the dust in the tube, no biggie if you don't have any air though. Good luck on you first repair.

Thanks a mill !!