I am looking at buying a new Chevy Equinox AWD. It comes with a 4 cycle engine. I have been driving an Impala for 13 yrs with a V6. I can get a V6 in this Equinox for an extra $1,500. I know a V6 will bring the gas mileage down some. I am torn about whether I should or not. The dealer says the 4 cycle is plenty of motor. I have had a lot of people say get the V6 because the 4 cycle doesn't have enough oomph when trying to accelerate quickly. Im not going to be pulling things or driving in mtns. Just city and highway driving. When I took it out on the highway it might sound different from my car on acceleration but it does seem to have enough power to do that. Please help. I don't know what to do.

Asked by Mar 22, 2016 at 02:30 AM about the 2016 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD

Torn between whether to get a V6 engine in a new Chevy Equinox that
comessage with a 4 cycle engine.

57,215

Before you purchase a brand new Equinox, go take a test drive in a Subaru Outback with the 2.5 Four and CVT transmission. You're going to be really impressed with the way it handles. The engine is a flat boxer engine and has an excellent center of gravity. Also, when you turn the vehicle, since the motor is flat and not vertical, the car will naturally be more responsive on turns. I really thought I needed a Six cylinder and after I drove the Four I was very happy with the performance. The Equinox is a little bit less expensive than the Subaru, but, remember, the Subaru is AWD and will hold up in resale value and be more reliable. Good luck.

3,250

I think if u like that car and liked the power of impala u should get the one that has similar power. Drive the 4 cyl , c if it has less power, if it does r u goin to b satisfied wit less power if ur use to it? It may feel way different.

154,425

If you driving lots of highway miles and or carrying lots of people in you car (ie large Family) then get the larger engine. If you are doing just local driving the 4 is perfect.

365

I've got a 2017 Equinox LT 4-cyl after driving my 2004 Blazer for 13-14 years which had the 4.3 liter V-6. I leave the ECO switch on all the time, (delays electric shifting) and improves mileage. I NEVER turn ECO off, I'm VERY content with the engine response. I've been on I-75 and have very successfully merged into traffic most times just accelerating, not necessarily in passing gear. I leave the digital read-out in front of the driver in the MILEAGE screen. I've asked a couple friends that work at GM if they are accurate and they all say they're very close. Driving from 55 to 75MPH, my mileage hovers around 36-38 MPG. And it's a pretty peppy machine even if you won't win many drag races. A friend of mine has the V-6 (300 hp) and he says it really rips...but do you need that at the expense of the mileage? Also remember the AWD will further harm your mileage. With the front wheel drive, I feel pretty comfy with the traction. So, your choice, but I'd recommend the 4-CYL! Good luck, post on here so we know your decision......duder

57,215

36 to 38 MPG??? Are you coasting downhill in neutral? By the way, I don't believe that's legal.... anyway, take a look at this.... https://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/equinox/2017/mpg/

365

Markw1952....VERY Cavalier comments!! Judging from your points, I see you DO THIS ALOT! Re-read the middle of my comments! I said I asked GM personnel their thoughts and, I'll say AGAIN, the said they're yery close. I did not say it's absolute correct, I said that's what my computer reads out (36-39 MPH)! I'm FULLY AWARE what the advertised mileage is for highway driving (32 MPH) The gentleman I answered asked for info and that's what I provided...evidently you disagree....that's what makes the world go-round! Just be careful when you coast down hill, legally or otherwise!