I have a 2003 Chevy Cavalier which I hadn't driven for awhile. When I started it up the other day it started to overheat. It had a new radiator put in last year and it is full of coolant. The fan didn't seem to be kicking on when I let it run.I don't know a lot about fixing cars but I know where the fan is. Although it is hard to see the outer part, which I presume is part of the fan, won't move but the part in front of it will turn. I hope I have explained this so you can understand, it is so close to the radiator that I can't get a good look.Thanks Feye

Asked by May 31, 2015 at 05:12 PM about the 2003 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Coupe

The Cavalier started to overheat.
I let it run a little while and the fan didn't kick on. I tried to see fan
and tried to turn it, with motor off, and the front part wouldn't budge. However, a part next to radiator, which I thought was part of the fan, would turn.
I am wondering how to tell if the fan is bad since I don't know a lot about car repair but some of it on UTube doesn't look so hard. I also don't know a good mechanic.
Thanks
Feye

65,955

First, be careful poking around the fan blades. They can start without warning! Don't want you losing a finger! Sounds like the plastic fan blade is spinning freely on the motor shaft. Try selecting "max a/c" on the dash and see if the motor spins. If that's the case, the plastic fan blade needs replacing. HTH. -Jim

Thanks for replying. Maybe I didn't word this right but I meant the first blade type that you can see from the top of the car won't budge but the one behind it, close to the radiator will turn by hand. The one you see first would not move when trying to turn to see if it was stuck. I did try with the AC but nothing happened.