2016 Mazda MX 5 fog lights

40

Asked by Feb 14, 2016 at 09:42 PM about the 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring Convertible

Thought this might be of interest to some, but would also appreciate any
further information or thoughts. My new MX 5 GT does NOT have fog lights,
contrary to what the small, abbreviated handbook shows. In that book,
there's a closeup view of the stock on the left-hand side of the steering
wheel where the headlights are controlled. You rotate the outer part of that in
the normal manner for the headlights, but there is also an inner ring that
reads."Fog." My car does not have that inner ring. The actual owners
manual (the thicker book) makes no mention of the fog lights and shows the
lighting control as it is in my car. On the exterior, it's easy to see where the
fog lights would be... directly below the combination headlight/parking light
group. Although the lens gives you only a blurry view of what's in there, it
appears that there's a row of copper pins that light bulbs or LED's would fit
over.

Unless this is a case where the Sport model might have things unavailable
on the GT (such as upgraded suspension and brakes) it might be an
example of where there's a photo of an MX 5 sold in Europe or elsewhere,
but not in the US. Just speculation by me on that part, but it would be
interesting to know what the story is. I'll be asking the dealer next time I'm in
his area. I never saw any mention of fog lights as an option when I ordered
my car.

5,445

yep....probably have to sit on someone's desk to get them!~

1,155

My 2007 had them installed. It was a 2007 Touring model. I like the 2016 a lot but, now I'm 70 with only the new 2015 Nissan Sentra SV. Seems to be just the ticket in the snow.

24,815

The switch should look similar to this if it has fog lights. Some models may not come equiped with it. You can always check the widow sticker assuming it was purchased new. Also on a side note most Miatas come perwired for fogs even if it didnt leave the factory that way.

Best Answer
24,815

Here is a pic of the fog lights exterior location.

40

Thank you Michael and for the other comments as well. Yes, the photo you show of the switch is the same one shown in "Start Smart Guide," whereas the owner's manual shows only the type I have which does not include that inner ring where the fog lights would be controlled. In the next few days I hope to get by the dealer to see that they have to say. The thing that seems odd to me as well as a bit annoying is that nowhere in the brochure is there any mention of fog lights as an option on any of the MX 5 models. I know that some options (brakes/suspension items) are only available on the Club (also frustrating) but for whatever reason fog lights don't seem to be offered at all.

24,815

The picture shown above is only a preproduction model and they may not be availble yet as an option.

40

Thanks Mark. You're absolutely right. I finally got by the dealership today and the stock that has the inner ring with the fog light control does not show up in their inventory. Too bad that they used a photo of the preproduction model since it's both confusing and has people asking about something that doesn't exist yet.

5,445

...achem, that's Michael, not Mark....should say "Michael Helpful"~

24,815

The fog lights will probly be an option for next years model and should also be a dealer add on sold as a kit. The last production models had a kit you could buy from mazda and install in less than an hour or have the dealer install for you.

24,815

Actually just read through the miata.net forum, that these are drl's or daytime running lights and there are no fog lights currently availible for the 2016 model from the factory.

40

Thanks again Michael. Sorry for saying "Mark" in one of the posts, but at least got it right the first time. From what I've also been able to learn, you're right again. They are drl's. One of the things that was tricking me into thinking the location of the drl's is for fog lights is because they apparently only turn on when the car is moving and not just idling. I've never had a vehicle before with the running lights and didn't know they operated that way. I've tried every combination there is with the light switch and ignition as well as with the car idling and there are never any lights on there. Someday I'll have to ask my neighbor if they're on when I drive up. Would be interesting to know if that's how they work in most cars.