Why no warning when I left the dome light on by mistake?

25

Asked by Jun 08, 2014 at 02:13 PM about the 2014 Honda Civic EX-L w/ Navigation

I must have left the dome light on by mistake yesterday. This morning my 2014 Honda
Civic EX-L/Navi is as dead as a door nail.
Doesn't this car give a warning signal if an interior light is left on by mistake? Most newer
cars have an auto-shut off if a light is on over a specific amount of time. Need some
answers, thanks.

355

Johnny, (LIVE & LEARN) my friend! Once drained you should gently trickle charge your battery. Why not consult your Glove Compartment Manual or call the dealership? They would have an answer for you. On many cars leaving trunk semi-opened/doors/vanity mirrors or dome inadvertently ON are doomsday to your battery, specially in winter time as it slowly drains it to death. A solution is solid state bulbs which are not incandescent (the red hot filament arc that provides light) is a micro-stove turning electricity into heat/light. I changed all of mine to white LED's the light is brighter/purer and it does not drain battery easily as these tiny solid state squares are electricity misers. http://www.carid.com/lumen/led-dome-lights.html

Best Answer Mark helpful
25

Thanks DEX04, I'll give the dealer a call this morning. With all the computers and electronics on this car one would think that if a light was left on inadvertently the system would shut down automatically. Well may be next year they will come out with that feature. :-) J. Civic

355

J, My '02 Civic DX has no such warnings nor my S200 or my '08 Altima. I always thought that if carmakers had a website for users to make suggestions based on + or - experiences cars would be better machines. PS: If no trickle charger is available best thing to recharge battery is a long ride about an hr.

25

Good advice dex, I called the dealer and he had an interesting response to my question. He said that probably the little map reading light was inadvertently left on (I had been playing with it during the day) and it was not manually shut off. Most all interior lighting shuts off automatically—but it a light is manually turned on the obvious reason for that would be that the person wants that light to stay on and not to go off automatically...so the light in question has to be turned off manually also. Well, when you think about it that really does make sense. He also said that he knows of no other cars that will automatically shut off a light(s) that are turned on manually. Well, that's my Honda experience this morning 6/9/2014. Johnny Civic

355

J, I am glad you got your answer from them. Your experience happened to me with my wife's Passat years ago when she left a minute switch on for her vanity mirror on her visor which once flipped back up you could hardly see on and overnight that little insignificant minute light knocked her battery dead. I have gotten criticized here by the Much Macho Crowd for pointing people directly to the Dealer and making a distinction between a Garage Mechanic who mainly dispenses gas and does flats and a Dealership Authorized Mechanic up on all latest Service Bulletins seeing your car day in day out because it has seldom failed me when looking for answers that no one has or I could not find. I've owned Sports cars such as Corvettes, X-19's, Alfa's, VW's, Renaults, Mazda's, Datsun's...(plus many American Marquee's as Buick/Chrysler/Dodge/Ford/Cadillac) etcetera. There's not much I have not owned and never been steered the wrong way by a dealer which is not what I would say about local garages. Don't forget to get a trickle charger if you do not own one you will not regret it! And if you go LED you'll never go back to incandescent:)

25

Thanks Dex04. The problem is not getting the answer, the problem is getting the "correct" answer. It's sort of like dealing with the Government, with them there is no correct answer, every thing today is just relative. It's so frustrating isn't it? To be honest, cars today have way to much electronics, I'm just getting old I guess...I like Steve Job's old quote: "Computers are great for solving the problems they create". —Johnny Civic

355

LOL, I know... I dealt with computers I worked in IT and remember someone calling them "Personal Confusers" I have been inside some cars that emulate a B-1 plane. I am also from the analog age and love dial gauges instead of idiot lights/icons. I would never trade my manual gear box for a CVT one despite of all the advancements and no transition gaps in it. Give me gears, keep the electronic chips and CPU's

25

I'm with you brother. :-) Civic minded...but reality based.

I've had my Honda CRV for four months and twice I left the light on by the mirror. Both times my battery was dead in the morning. I find this not good. I had a Chevy van for eight years that I traded for this CRV and I left the light on many times. It automatically shut off. This one doesn't apparently. I'm very surprised! This is a newer model, and in this day and age I really believed that it would have shut itself off. :(