I have done everything and the heat gauge goes to 3/4 and stays there.

Asked by Nov 26, 2014 at 10:13 AM about the 1988 Volkswagen Golf 4 Dr GL Hatchback

I have changed the head gasket and radiator and temperature sensors and thermostat
and water pump.  Could it be the instrument cluster?

19,010

That's where you want it. If it was all the way pegged hot you would be overheating your engine.

For a year the temperature gauge was in the center and now it is 3/4 and you say that is where I want it? Shouldn't it be 1/2 or in the center?

19,010

oh ok I thought you where wondering why it wasn't going all the way to the top. 3/4 is still not overheating. Does it blow hot? It could be the sending unit to the gauge. You could have an air pocket in the cooling system. Who did the head gasket, radiator ect work? How long ago was the work done?

My mechanic is doing the work presently and he thinks it could be the instrument cluster. I will ask him if it is blowing hot and about the sending unit to the gauge and if there could be an air pocket in the cooling system. Thanks

So I spoke to my mechanic and he says it's not blowing hot and no air pocket in the cooling system but it's the instrument cluster. So where can I get one for this 1988 Volkswagen golf gl?

19,010

If it's not blowing hot the cluster will have nothing to do with it. It's going to be an air pocket, low on coolant(leak or blown gasket somewhere) bad thermostat, bad water pump or plugged radiator/heater core.

My mechanic has not solved the problem yet and says the cluster is out, at least the lighting and so he is going to change the cluster. And so the repair mystery goes on. I am going to ask him again about what you said because I don't want to drive around with the heating gauge at 3/4 mark. Thanks

19,010

Ahh ok so you have a few problems. Well good luck, hopefully its not too costly. Happy Thanksgiving

So far I have spend $1650 to put in the new radiator and water pump and new timing belt and new thermostat and used radio installed and windshield wipers repaired and new head gasket and valve job and now it's time for the cluster. I hope this isn't impossible to repair this car. I took it to Florida from California last year and I wanted to take it to Florida again but not with the heat gauge at 3/4 mark

19,010

I understand but it is 27 years old. Might be time for a new ride.

I agree with you but I currently have no finances and I cannot afford to buy another car let alone a new car. I'm hoping that the cluster and installation are not too expensive and fix the problem. I bought the car a year and a half ago for $600 and have put about $2500 in it with repairs. If I could get it to run right I was going to have it painted and the interior upholstery repaired.

19,010

Unfortunately it's a Volkswagen, nothing's cheap. I hope it's not to costly. I would get it running well and sell it. By the time you get it running well, paint it and fix the upholstery, you could buy a much newer, more reliable car.That's my 2 cents worth and you got it for free. Good luck

I picked up the car all finished from the mechanic and he said he just had to fix the cluster and not replace it and charged another $90 and I drove it 25 miles home and it works great and the heat gauge stays at half way mark and as soon as I can afford to I will drive from California to Florida and back besides using it every day to drive to work and wherever else and then I will have it painted and upholstery repaired and see how many years more I can get out of it. I bought my Ford Aerostar in 1998 and I'm still driving that also.

19,010

I'm glad it was something simple after all the time and money your mechanic spent on it. Have fun in Florida and enjoy it.

Best Answer

Thanks a lot for your help

19,010

No problem.