Problem with a cabin fan in a golf 3 1995

15

Asked by Jul 14, 2008 at 12:48 PM about the 1995 Volkswagen Golf 2 Dr GL Hatchback

At first some details of my car: golf 3, manufactured in 1995, diesel engine, manual transmition, approx. 65 horsepower.

My problem is that somethimes a cabin fan works and somethimes don't, (mostly the fan doesn't work). If I close the driver's door with a force in the most cases, fan starts to work. But if I turn off the engine fan dies and when I start the engine again the fan stays dead. Friends told me that the problem is probably in the wires or in the motor of the fan or maybe in the controller of the fan, does anybody have the same problem as i have?

And one more thing that i have noticed, if the fan is turned on for a longer period of time (30 min) on the high rpm (level 4),  there is a smell of a burning plastic or burning electronic. Also the fan starts to increase and decrease rpms by itself.

Thanks for your answers!     

13,545

Your problem sounds as if you need to replace the fan motor. This should solve your problem.

15

Do you think that the the other electronic parts like the relays and the part that changes the voltage of the fan motor, are OK? If the the fan wouldnt start at all, i would probably came to the same conclusion, but the part that bothers me is that motor runs well at first, and after a while starts to change fan rotation. Do you know where the motor( cabin fan) is located and relay for it, is anywhere a blueprint of dash board to be found on the net?

80

I gonna say to start with your fan controls (the knobs for temperature, vent adjustments and fan speed). I had this problem with my Corrado, replaced that and the fan works fine now.

15

Hello, this electronic is located just behind the fan and temperature adjustment in the dash board, am i right? Does anyone know where to find the lay-out schematic of the dashboard for this car? Thanks for the quick and helpful response guys.

80

Not behind those controls, it is those controls. You get all that as an assembly. Swap the cables for the blend doors and plug it in. Turn it on and see if it works. I don't know of where you can get schematic online, but if you can acquire a manual from Robert Bentley it will have it. http://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Jetta-Golf-GTI-1993-1999/dp/0837603668/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216255739&sr=8-1 I have one for my Corrado and one for my BMW, they are worth their weight in gold if you plan on working on your European car! (Robert Bentley has a hand in making the repair manuals for factory dealerships, so its all great info!)

15

Thanks guys, I will try to fix this problem otherwise I will keep you posted.

I have the same problem in my VW Golf 3, 95 manual 2.0. For a while I use to be able to get the fan to work by smacking the center console on the passenger side. But, now it hardly works at all. Some times it will purr a little, but then dies out. How did you end up fixing this? E-mail me tyleracheson@yahoo.com Thanks

oh hey, check this out - http://www.scribd.com/doc/184768/Replace-Cabin-Air-Filter-2003-95 It's for a jetta, but the interior is the same.

oops, sorry i'm an idiot. Wrong vehicle.

10

Sorry about late reply, the problem was in the fan motor as user DVIGANO said. It was dead, i have replace it with used one from golf 3 gti model, and its working perfectly. You can find the fan motor under dashboard, on the passenger side, where the passenger keeps the feet.

10

Now i have a different problem, my fan motor died because (i think when it was spinning it was touching outer boarder of the casing. the problem is that, that when i turn on the heat in the car, the air in the cabin becomes bad like its a lot of dust in the air, and its unbearable.

10

any idea what to do, cos i am freezing when i am drivig.