mt boyfriend tried to start my 2005 T-Bird wiht a key from his 2010 explorer. Now whne i put the correct key in it will not turn.

5

Asked by Jan 09, 2013 at 08:11 AM about the 2005 Ford Thunderbird 50th Anniversary Edition

We tried using both of the orginal keys, tried jiggling the wheel, reset the security system by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.  No luck still cannot turn the key in the ignition.

He screwed up when he put that key in: to state to obvious. It's probably a mechanical problem in the lock mechanism..as opposed to the chip in the key programming. Attempting to turn the ignition switch with the wrong key, if it even went in properly, won't necessarily damage anything it just won't turn. BUT if he tried to force it, turn it too hard, you may be SOL and need a new ignition switch, key set, door locks.....sorry don't shoot the messenger actually I hope I am wrong and a locksmith can fix you up for far less than the dealer will

If it was simply the programming of the system the key would turn but not start the car...they are both Fords so I suppose the switch would accept the key to begin with, but.....does your proper key work on the door lock?

2,235

the mechanics of the barrel will be compromised and damaged the only way round this is a replacement barrel/ ignition it will also meen that the new lock will have to be reprogramed to the ecu as the transponder will be different and the only way that can be done is at a dealership your boyfriend if he was anything of one should fit the bill as it will cost over here in the uk you would be looking anything up to 600 pounds depending on the car times that by two thirds and you will have it in dollars regards john j.s autos

$400......sounds cheap to me.....I stand corrected about the locksmith, John there is right

Wait. $1 equals 0.62lbs so that's, uh... about $372....still sounds inexpensive, I hope you can get it done for that...good luck jenn and cut him off until he pays the bill

5

Thanks, guys. He will be footing the bill and I was afraid the problem was not going to be minor. The key does work in the door, but it will not turn in the ignition.

30

Make him pay