when I turn the key to start my 03 Thunderbird lights on dash go out and nothing happens, Batt is good, fuses good, any suggestions?

Asked by May 09, 2013 at 12:10 PM about the 2003 Ford Thunderbird Premium Convertible

This car was a victim of water damage, it looked like the water was up to the spare tire    
Put in key dash lights go on fine turn key to start- dash lights go out nothing happens,
I have just purchased and starting to work on it.
Thanks,  Richard

Sounds like a dead battery. Check the battery voltage and cables.

Some cars shut off all circuits during start up. Electronics don't like low voltage and spikes. Check the condition of the battery as Tom said. If you have power, check for voltage at the small wire on the starter motor when the key is in the "Start" position.

I have checked all the standard items, Battery (new) voltage all connections ect. fuses and connections, starter works when jumped between sol. terminals.

here is a link to a wiring diagram if you would like to use it to find your problem http://www.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/vdirs/protech/global/default.asp

I have the Shop manual, and the added electrical manual, but lack some of the tools. my code reader comes up with "E" which I guess to be error.

this car may end up being a electrical nightmare, because of the forementioned water damage.

I am expecting to have lots of fun. Got it for a good price, no corrosion but I know what you mean. Thought I would check and see if anyone knew what these symptoms are.

probly just one of the devils in the system, may just have to change all the electrical