Mass airflow sensor

145

Asked by Mar 09, 2013 at 07:55 AM about the 2003 Chevrolet Venture LT Entertainer

My mechanic told me that this turned=up during the last diagnostics he made on my car. What is
this and what does it do? Do I urgently need to replace it? I searched the net and the thing looks
so simple, does it mean it is simple to replace? No major worries if I mess up (as I intend to do it
myself)?

Engines are combustible and need air in order to run properly. Cold air is denser and has more oxygen so it is more beneficial for the engine. When a mass air flow sensor goes bad in your Chevrolet, the check engine or service engine light will come on. You may experience poor performance issues with the engine. The mass air flow sensor calibrates changes that occur with the intake air flow as well as fuel and spark timing. Although it sounds complicated and is expensive to replace, it is relatively easy to install in your Chevy. Save yourself some money on labor charges and pop it in yourself and while you're there, it would be a good time to consider replacing your air filter if you Locate the engine air filter box. The model of Chevrolet and size motor you have will dictate the location of the air box. Refer to the owner's manual if you need assistance finding it. Follow the black air tube that runs from the air box to the throttle body. Located about in the middle of the air tube (on most models) is a small square metallic looking device with an electrical outlet plugged into it. That's the mass air flow sensor. Take the new one out of the box and compare how it is supposed to seat inside the air tube. Be care not to touch the internal element of the new sensor. Unplug the wire outlet in the mass air flow sensor. Loosen the air tube band clamps using the screwdriver. It might be easier to remove the tube connection from the air box and the throttle body and remove the tube as an assembled unit even though there are band clamps on either side of the mass air flow sensor. If a vacuum line tube is inserted into the air tube, you can simply pull it out. Remove the air tube. Loosen the band clamp on one side of the mass air flow sensor and remove the tube. Insert the new mass air flow sensor and tighten the clamp. Repeat for the other side of the air tube. Reinsert the air tube into place. Be sure there are no loose connection and the tube is securely covering the air box and throttle body connections. Tighten the clamps. Plug in the vacuum line if there was one you had to unplug. Plug the outlet back into the mass air flow sensor. It would also be recommended to open the air box and replace the air filter if it hasn't been done in a while.

222,825

If your car is running fine except for the CEL on, you don't urgently need to replace it. It's a plug and play kind of deal with basic hand tools. MAF's are expensive and there is no guarentee this will fix your issue. If in fact the code that he did pull indicates a replacement vs some other condition that is tripping the MAF code, like a vacuum leak. So replace at your own risk is what I'm saying.

Tom is correct, as usual ........$80

93,665

Never, ever touch the delicate wire. It breaks if you look at it too hard! -- Some people have cleaned their MAF's using spray type electronic cleaners. Don't touch the expensive wire.

145

Masters, hehehe, will the vacuum leak come from a malfunctioning throttle body?

93,665

CRC makes a MAF sensor wire cleaner - http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=vPT8rL0noYg

As is TS~~~~~~

222,825

Sid, unless the hose or gaskets that attaches to the throttle body are cracked or is letting air escape, then no.

105,935

Sid, you should feel real special you have Tom, DavidH25 and tenspeed helping you with your questions. These three are just about as good as it gets with this site. Always giving good no bs answers.

145

Yes Dandyoun, lucky indeed. Masters I started calling them :D

I'm flattered. Thanks.

105,935

Thanks for the helpfuls. Was not fishing for points. Just wanted him to know how lucky he was to have the three of you all at once.

93,665

Thanks for the kudos, Dandy!

Hey dandy, you have much to contribute yourself dude. I have never seen you post a wrong answer

105,935

Thanks DavidH25. I try to only answer questions if the issue is something that I have dealt with in the past.