Throttle Position Sensor and Gear Shifting

155

Asked by Mar 09, 2013 at 11:12 AM about the 2003 Chevrolet Venture LT Entertainer

I read http://www.ehow.com/how_6774858_install-throttle-position-sensor.html (as advised by
master DavidH25 --- thanks!) and I quote..."The main component it (Throttle Position Sensor)
affects is the transmission, which will engage more aggressively with additional throttle."

Question is, if the Throttle Position Sensor is broken will your A/T vehicle not shift properly?

of course~ remember the old days with the 'kickdown link'? the modern equivalent has the same persuasions-

20,565

trans. shift is related to speed sensor,tps may have to do with trans pressure control for a quick response to acomadate this ,intresting?

155

Yes 7jimmy7, so if the TPS is faulty there wouldn't be a quick response from the tranny. Interesting...

18,505

the TPS tells the trans to downshift when you give it throttle. If it goes bad it will shift up and sown as normal but if you go to pass someone and put it to the floor it will stay in the same gear and will probably shift before 3000 rpm.

111,045

Most tps work on a 5 volt signal. Five volts is supplied to it and the signal coming back from it should range from 1 to 5 volts. At and idle it should read 1 to 1.5 volts on the signal wire. As the throttle is moved to full open position the volts should smoothly increase to 4.5 to 5 at full open throttle. If the voltage does not read in the ranges listed above or does not smoothly increase and decrease with the moving of the throttle it needs to be replaced. Will cause poor idle conditions, poor acceleration and in proper shifting just to name a few.

155

Thanks Andrew & Dandy, I will give both atry to test my TPS.

60

Will a bad throttle make your transmission make noises while shift

I have a 2002 infinti g20. first gear shifts at 3,000 rpms but it shifts smooth, but on all gears it stays at a high rpm. could this be my TPS ?

50

i have a 2004 chevy tahoe 5.3L V8 do you think the TPS causes the rpm to go high and not move any higher than 30mph