Cleaning Mass Air Flow Sensor

155

Asked by Mar 10, 2013 at 08:01 AM about the 2003 Chevrolet Venture LT Entertainer

I've watched videos on YouTube (because my mechanic told me to replace it and I'm
considering cleaning it first as advised by my CarGuru idols) about this topic and would like to
ask expert opinion on :
a) Do you have to clean this regularly? Or just when you're flagged with it's code? Someone
even said to "better stay away from it" as the part is expensive.
b) Do you have to really use a MAF cleaner? I've seen some using carb cleaners and even
isopropyl alcohol (household rubbing alcohol variety).

Good morning Sid. I think you maybe are referring to tenspeed's comment about "don't touch the sensitive wires"...are you? TS is right.. and you have a sort of loaded question, about cleaning it 'regularly'.. sure, it needs to be clean, but if it works don't 'fix'it'. Now, MAF cleaner is a special formula of chemicals that will 'clean' it but not damage other parts around it if you do it with in in place. Other products may work just fine, but to be on the safe side, MAF cleaner is recommended.

Best Answer Mark helpful

It's $80

and

102,765

Good morning Sid and David. - Theoretically, if the air filter was perfect, the MAF sensor would never need cleaning. In the real world, nothing is perfect and the sensor probably should be cleaned when the air filter is changed. --- I mentioned not to touch the sensitive wires because others have attempted to wipe them clean with a a Q tip or cloth and they broke. MAF cleaner is made for the job. Electrical contact cleaner is similar and it could be just as expensive.

g'mornin' TS and ok, thanks for the support there. I see what you mean, ya gotta be gentle with those things

155

Still lucky I have 2 masters in the house again. These advises coming from you 2 makes learning easy. Yes I was quite confused with all the other opinions I've heard and watched, reason why I ran back here. I totally agree with David, my old man's version is "if it 'aint broken don't fix it". The 2nd pic that you posted David, isn't this a TPS? or are you testing my master? Yes also TS, a lot of other "experts" in videos used Q tips and other cleaners. I'll follow your alternative --- contact cleaners as I don't think there's a lot of shops here in the Philippines that sells MAF cleaners (much cheaper too), besides MAF if an electronic part isn't it? And yes, where's my manners...Good evening to you both from the Philippines :D

155

P.S. Now I know why changing air filters is a preventive measure --- against breaking the more expensive MAF.

Let me double check make sure I posted a MAF

Now this is from another parts house.. A1 CARDONE MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR, REMANUFACTURED -- A high quality, direct fit OE replacement mass air flow sensor; With A1 Cardone's 1-year or 18,000-mile warranty.

We so our best effort Sid, all of us do. Thank You for the acknowledgment. feedback like that make it worthwhile, some people never even say 'Thanks'. Make that most.And that's OK, ain't no big thing. And it's not like we get paid either. many sites will give you the same information but you better have your credit card out before they do.

155

Sad but true David about some people being unappreciative these days. I hope in the near future I can give help as well. You're doin the lord's work man!

I don't even really care if I don't get a "Thanks', it's when we, not just me but tenspeed, Tom. llregal, dandy, Bob, hey I can't name everybody..Jim.. 7jimmy7, sorry if I left somebody out. I know I have, but when we try to help and sometime even working together, combined we don't get a magic instant fix it. we have gotten snide remarks from people who have been registered users for one day...scolding us for not coming to their house with a service truck.

155

There will always be ingrates David. I feel for you guys. Even if you're getting paid (which you're not) there witll still be people who will be unreasonably demanding. Keep the faith, you guys are doing a great service! Bless you all!