Noises heard while driving

75

Asked by May 29, 2008 at 07:32 AM about the 2003 Chrysler Sebring LXi

My car has several strange creaking noises in the front end.  It kind of sounds like a rocking chair creaking.  There are also some unusual noises from the back as well (similar to the front).  Also, ever since I had the brake pads replaced and the rotors turned, the brakes make a popping noise while stopping as well as squeal, and sometimes they even grind if you have been driving awhile.  They were done about 6 months ago and I have put 4000 miles on them and I have seen no improovement in the noises in that come from them.  Any advice would be appreciated.  How can I get these annoying suspension creaks to stop?  BTW, the car only has 37,000 miles on it right now!

45

Did you get your rotors cut? Maybe its the type of brake pads that you got which some do cause noise. Get your brakes inspected and try replacing them to a different brand or so.

145

popping when you brake sounds like loose tie rod ends shifting when the weight of the vehicle shifts...

340

The squeal is most probably the sway bar links. The popping would likely come from not adding shims to the front brakes. In the pads there should have been some small shims that fit over the caliper frame to limit movement of the pads during braking.

25

Hey Ryan, I had the same exact issue with the creaking and the popping noises. When I'd be stopped at a light, either after I took my foot off the brake or hit the acceleration it would make that noise. Mine was bad to the point that it sounded like an issue with the front axle. I had the front rotors and brakes replaced, suddenly the noises were gone. I paid just under $300 for the parts and labor to fix the problem over at my local King Bear auto. Did it about 3 months ago, and the car has been good. The only thing I can say is its the price we pay for driving Chrysler :-)

75

Thank you for your insight Mike. I really appreciate you taking the time to advise me in this matter. How many miles do you have on yours? I have the 2.7 V6, which is also a piece of shit. I only have 40K on it, and it already is doing weird things. I don't like these cars at all, and I really regret buying this.

95

Ryan- I have a 1997 Sebring JX Convert. I had a problem like this when I first bought my car. I would suggest changing you're breaks again and getting alignment. Sometimes you can get bad break pads (it's happened to me) expecially if you buy from a non-dealership store such as Murphy's, AutoZone, Advanced Auto, or a small oil changing chain. The best bet is to buy the parts from a dealership, that way you're under warrenty and they can track what you've purchased. Just try to find some one else to do the labor, because labor at a dealership is too expensive in most cases. Sebring's have really bad luck with undercarriage problems. I absolutely love my car, but I've just about replaced the entire drive train except the engine. Good luck!

25

my machanic says that the rotors now adays are crap so you need to take them back. as for the front end i dont know. mine squeals terrible when i turn like the power steering is going out but nobody can find anything wrong.

35

I used to own a sebring and I had the exact problem. Get your ball joints checked. That was my problem. I just put a little bit of lubricant in it and it was fixed.

915

on a sebring both the problems are simple creaking noises are ball joints and the brake noises are probably loose brake pads in the caliper anchors there are shim kits that are to be used but most techs are too lazy to use them because it takes 5 extra mins to make the pads fit right. and they should have a anti squeal compound added to the backing plates of the pads....its amazing what some guys will do just to save time and money. i am a licenced tech and never have comebacks for poor workmanship.

20

I just took my 2003 Chrysler Sebring convertable to the dealership today for the same problem, and they diagnosed a steering rack problem-$750 repair!

465

I think you should get the whole car inspected and make sure it is inspected carefully. I think the creaking is coming from your suspension and I also think you should get new brakes immediately. is the Brake warning light indicator on? If it is, get your brakes checked or replaced immediately. If it isn't any of that then what is it? if you can indicate exactly where the noises are coming from, I will tell you what it is. Thank you for listening to my rambling

60

i have this problem and it seems to be the ball joint, problem is, the ehole control arm has to be changed cuz the ball joint is not separate. does this ridiculous creaking noise mean it is bad and NEEDS to be done?

450

your suspension springs are broken pal or the rubber pads where they rest on are bustet, probably the chip is just above the rubber pad . Plus always put copperslip on the cover plates behind your brakepads, original has nothing to do with this problem, usually the non original are better specket parts, other wise they wouldnt be sold on the aftermarket.+ Brakes and pads are from Mitsubishi, so you can use a large range of pads. Just do a little investigation before purchasing pads, disks, + about 1000 other things in spare parts. found disk for my sebring, All 4 off em for 212 dollers, try getting that in mopar parts. Mopar is overpriced buy far. regards from Iceland