shuts off while driving

Asked by Mar 05, 2010 at 09:30 PM about the 1996 Chrysler Sebring 2 Dr JXi Convertible

I bought this car in February and I am very please with it overall the only problem I have so far is I can be driving down the road and it will shut off but most of the time it will start going again right away. Sometimes I have to pull over and re-start the car.

80

Unfortuneately the issue u have has a multitude of possibilities that would need to be monitored by a capable tech while driving the vehicle...best suggestion is to have the vehicle diagnosed by a reputable repair facility so that u don't go thru the hassle of replacing multiple parts before finding the culprit. newer vehicles have a array of wiring and electrical parts that may fail out of no where and intermittently. sorry but this is the best help i can offer today

20

I have a 1996 JXI, too, and had the same problem. It was a defective sensor. Unfortunately, it could have been any one of several so the mechanic had to keep the car, reset the codes and drive it around for a while each day until the event happened. Then he switched out the sensor and now all is well. It cost about $165.00.

40

I had the same problem a couple of years back. I brought it to the dealer, and they said it was the "crank shaft sensor." The dealer cost around 350 or so. Clearly the majority of the cost was for labor.

975

I had the same problem on my 99 sebring jxi it was the cranksensor . The part cost around $80 at autozone and was a very easy driveway swap. One screw and one electrical connector. Just make sure you leave the little piece of material on the end of the sensor, it gives the correct spacing when installing and will wear away on its own.

975

Oooops replied to the wrong thread sorry, Let's try again. I had the same problem on my 99 sebring jxi it was the cranksensor . The part cost around $80 at autozone and was a very easy driveway swap. One screw and one electrical connector. Just make sure you leave the little piece of material on the end of the sensor, it gives the correct spacing when installing and will wear away on its own.

10

My car is a 96 LXI and Im having the same problem, due you think that could be it?

40

I have the same problem with my 2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible, but mine does not start again right away. I have to let it sit for different amount of times before it will start again. Someone told me it might be the timing belt has slipped.

30

we have a 2005 sebring that will stall out at the stop sign but start up again and also while driving it will suddenly only go 40 miles an hour until I pull over and restart the car. I have been told the computer needs replacing. Also possible the timing belt and we also read it could be the map sensor. Has anyone had the issue with the car going only 40 miles an hour or so no matter if it is floored?

30

I have That same problem Margaret input new spark plug new qualls now a water outlet

20

Hi i just bought a 2005 Chrysler sebring and it starts and drives but will not get to much speed and will shut off as well theres no engine lights on once i got home it wont start but it sounds like it wants to.