My 1990 Alantee acts like it is not getting gas. I can shoot starting fluid in the air filter and the car runs fine until the fluid burns out. I checked the fuses in the center console and they are OK. This happened after the security system went off as a result of me changing a dead battery. I was wondering if there are 2 possibilities preventing the car from running. 1 – Did the factory security system cause my fuel pump to deactivate? And do I need to reset it??? Or 2 – could I have blown a fuse someplace when I changed batteries? I suspect the fuel pump has no power because when I turn the key, I can not hear the pump. Thanks for your comment on this question.

Asked by Apr 11, 2007 at 05:05 PM about the 1990 Cadillac Allante Base Convertible

My 1990 Alantee acts like it is not getting gas.  I can shoot starting fluid in the air filter and the car runs fine until the fluid burns out.  I checked the fuses in the center console and they are OK.  This happened after the security system went off as a result of me changing a dead battery.  I was wondering if there are 2 possibilities preventing the car from running.
1 – Did the factory security system cause my fuel pump to deactivate?  And do I need to reset it???  Or 2 – could I have blown a fuse someplace when I changed batteries?  I suspect the fuel pump has no power because when I turn the key, I can not hear the pump.
Thanks for your comment on this question.

3,165

in the trunk, you should find a "fuel pump reset switch" refer to your owners manual if you have one.

9,205

I agree with 98DAK - most likely that will solve your problem.

30

WHERE IN THE TRUNK?

Is there a reset switch in the 1992 Allante & if so where is it located ???

9,205

I think it is behind the panel - not sure which side. send an email to John at itsonlyluv@comcast.net . He is VERY knowledgeable on Allantes and runs an Allante specific repair shop.

Thanks I sent him an email

7,835

did u also change the fuel filter to be sure it has free flow?

9,205

sorry - I forgot about the fuel filter. I changed that also - VERY easy to do. Do not pay a mechanic to do it. It is located on the drivers side - just ahead of the rear wheel.

10

Greetings all, I too have the same problem engine won't crank, it just keeps rolling over until the battery dies.I also have the added system fault on my DIC while the blower fan runs. Anybody know what could be the problem to my 87 allante.

9,205

in the trunk, you should find a "fuel pump reset switch" refer to your owners manual if you have one. Send an email to John at itsonlyluv@comcast.net . He is VERY knowledgeable on Allantes and runs an Allante specific repair shop.