I jumped start my car and the positive cable got loose and grounded out. Did I blow out a guise or breaker? It won't start now.

Asked by May 20, 2014 at 11:03 PM about the 1989 Cadillac Allante

My car had been parked for about a year when I tryed to jump start it. The positive cable
became loose and grounded out. The car will not start even with a new battery. Did in low
a fuse or breaker? And if so where and which one is it?

242,235

Probably a fuse, or fuse link was blown protecting the system.

22,435

Nice car- I always wanted one- now, I always warn people on this forum of the dangers of using jumper cables- then I get all jumped over by others who think they know better- next time, take the battery out of the car and put it on a charger- that nice car deserves good treatment, not lazy shortcuts- now to the problem at hand- you do not say if the engine is turning, just not firing- Tom has good suggestions- but there are other things that could have melted- like a wire- there is even the possibility that nothing was damaged, that the starting problem is due to something else-

It doesn't turn over it's as if there's no electrical power going through. Oh and I never jump start my cars. It just happens that the first time that I did the positive jumper cable came off and made contact with the ground. I pulled the cable off right away. It sparked for a bit. I think it's either a fuse or breaker in the car. It's just difficult to figure which one because there's like 3 fuse boxes. And a lot of the Cadillac Dealer Mechanic's have problems figuring it out since most of the parts are now obsolete and today's mechanic's don't understand Allante's. Prior to it being parked for a year my car ran perfectly and have really never had a problem with it since I bought it in 1993.