I have problems starting my car!

Asked by Jun 24, 2013 at 01:44 AM about the 2010 Kia Rio LX

I have a 2010 Rio LX with 56000 miles.  About 8 months ago it started to give me problems and not always starting.  When I go to start the car I turn the key over and it attempts to start but does not, I continue to turn the key and it finally turns over and starts.  I took it in to get looked at and the dealer stated that I needed a new battery.  I did not trust the dealer so I took it to a battery store and had them check the battery to find out the Battery was 100% and putting out more cold cranking amps then the battery the dealer wanted to sell me.  I am still having problems and the battery keeps coming back 100%.  This is the original battery in the car.  I do not want to take it to a dealer or a mechanic since all they want to do is line their pockets and rip us off.  Any ideas on what this might be or have heard of this type of issue before?

565

oh my goodness I have the same problem. most of the time my 2009 kio does start but sometimes it will turn over but nothing. I have to turn it off and wait 20 seconds. usually it starts again.. I am going to try to use expensive petrol and see it that makes a difference. it has been into the garage and they found nothing. read your manual book as to how to start the engine.

380

My daughter is having the same problems. They have replaced the keys, starter motor, immobiliser and the battery! ALL THIS WEEK. And still today she had problems starting. Waiting to see what they have to say this time!!

565

Hi i read my manual and it said starting engine: depress the brake and turn the ignition. IT WORKS! apparently the newer cars need to be started by having your foot on the brake when starting and no acceleration. try it and hopefully it will work for you.

120

I started experiencing this also. Thought it was my battery however its all good. I am scared to take it into the dealer because they will screw me. I am still under warranty however they said they doubt it anything that's going to be covered so I will be rresponsible for the cost

380

They replaced the keys twice, starter motor, immobiliser and the battery! It ended up being a fault with a connection the ignition or ignition coil not sure which now. Which actually made sense! But all good now. Car was under warranty too. Didn't cost anything for the above, although the battery was done and had to pay for a new one. . We told them to keep the car until it was fixed. Good luck it is very frustrating especially in Winter.

565

I know I have just had the keys recoded so here is hoping. it isn't covered under the warranty. $132 later. they checked my ignition coil but all good. so here is hoping. good luck with your car.

565

back again. It took me a while but I finally noticed the key mobilizer picture flashes on the dashboard when the car will not start. so you need to turn off the key and start again until no flashing. then start. I need to get it fixed. So car will not start with that picture flashing. hope this is helpful.

50

Kia Rio 5- 2010 same problem. Kia needed 3 month and 3 tows back to dealer to change ignition system with 2 new keys. Fixed all under warranty. No more prompters for 3 years.

40

Samething here. I have a 2006 sedona and I have power but no start. My husband had me put thhe key in and turn it so I could take it out of park and put it in Neutral then slam it into park. And it would some times start. The KIA specialist say there is nothing showing up on the diagnostic. So they have no idea. Another person told my husband that his wife has the same problem with their KIA. And what they do is get out set the alarm and wait 15 min then get in and it starts. So I conclude its either the gear shift or the secerity or a combination. Hope it helps. I wont be buying another KIA. Actually I'll be getting a really old car with a real metal body and updating the engine and trainy and anything else and it wont cost me any where close to what I paid for this KIA. Nor will it cost as much to tag it either.

70

I am having problems with my 2010 kia rio. Sketchy starts in the summer, the car will turn and then completely stop making noise and then turn over and start. IN THE winter when it is below 10F outside it will not start at all. It fires for about a half of a second and then starts turning again and does this over and over. I went through 3 batteries all replaced free under warranty but clearly not the problem. When I put jumper cables on the car the second the connections are made my car will fire right up.

180

Same problem here! Ill get in it and drive it and then come home park and go back out to drive it and it won't start! If I wait a while it will start back up! Crazy all of us having the same issue!!!!!

180

Mines a 2012 kia Rio!!!!

30

I have a 2008 Spectra with the same issue. Engine light is on most of the time too. The garage said it might be an key issue but really don't know. I have to wait a full minute before starting again. Very Frustrating!

110

I have the same problem with my kia rio 2010 just finished replacing the alternator but still doing the same thing omg

110

Someone told me to get the gas filter changed

565

Yes I feel for you as my car did that for nearly a year. I had my car in recently and they had it for days and still nothing. I asked for the coil in the starter motor to be fixed and also when I got my car back I noticed on the driver door inside where the window switches are two lights now light up. One on the window switch that says auto lock and the switch that says lock with a picture of a key on it. These did not light up at night before. Since these work my car has never looked back. Good luck.

20

Replace the caron brass inside the starter . It only cost 280 pesos it works..

30

I'm having the exact problem with my 2013 Kia Rio, been trying to Google for answers! I replaced the battery, didn't work. All the lights and stuff come on, but it won't turn over, I sometimes have to just hold it over and it eventually comes on. I found a trick that also makes it comes on, I hold down the brakes and go through all the gears and it cranks on up. But then I worry, I may mess up my gears or transmission doing that too long.

80

Ok, my 2013 Kia Rio is producing the same exact problem that your 2013 Kia Rio is experiencing. I have taken my Kia to the dealer three times and it still produces the same problem. When I turn the key, the gauges all move but the car won't start. The first time I took it to the dealer, I had the battery replaced. The second time I took it to the dealer, a new updated program was downloaded in the on-board computer. The third time I took it to the dealer, the mechanic found a loose ground connection and also tightened up the shifter. Holy _ _ _ _, it is still producing the same problem. One way that I determined that always has gotten me out of getting stranded as a result of this problem is to carefully shift the car from park to drive and then to neutral. When in neutral, the car always starts. Someone else stated in this forum that stepping on the brake while turning the key always starts their car, so I will also try this approach and see if it works for my Kia. If it does prove fruitful, I will communicate this outcome on this forum. Good luck to everyone who is experiencing this problem. If I can not overcome this performance problem with a practical solution that does not harm my vehicle, I will never buy another Kia again.

80

One more thing about my 2013 Kia Rio.....I just checked my owner's manual regarding "Starting The Engine", which is page 5-10 in my manual. Here's what it says about starting the engine: "1. Make sure the parking brake is applied. 2. Automatic Transaxle - Place the transaxle shift lever in P (park). Depress the brake pedal fully. You can also start the engine when the shift lever is in the N (Neutral) position. 3. Turn the ignition switch to START and hold it there until the engine starts (a maximum of 10 seconds), then release the key." There is a fourth step to follow in extremely cold weather, however, I left this step out of this communication since we probably hardly encounter such weather conditions. I hope that depressing the brake pedal while starting my car works. Good Luck!

30

Bought Kia Soul in 2012 new. I had it less then a month and it wouldn't start. Took it to dealer and they said it could not be left unstarted more then a week. That did seem to work but here we are in 2015 and again same problem but the same answer is not working. Had battery and all components checked out, all good. Don't know what to do now, car is like new. We are not fans of this car and have had buyers remorse since the purchase. Had a Sorento, that was a great vehicle.

110

Hey fellow kia owners...I just got my 2012 kia Rio and I'm having the problem with it turning on but not starting they said I had a bad battery so I got it replaced then it happened again they had it for a week nothing happened...I get it back happens again...someone said it was my key and kia said no...can anyone else tell me anything else they have tried...

90

I have a 2005 Kia Rio and it will only start half the time. I just replaced the battery last week and still having the same issue. It will sometimes start if I put it in neutral but now it won't start at all.

35

Same problem, Kia Ceed 2008 Petrol. The problem started 6 months ago. I had to take the key off the ignition, insert the key again and then start. Usually this worked and the car started. 3 months ago the same problem, but no matter what I did, the car wouldn't start. One more thing to try: I went and got my secondary key and tried starting. Voila! First try and it was working again. And it has been working since.. Until yesterday. The same problem all over again. Was supposed to go to work, but no luck starting the car. I tried all the things that worked earlier: - Take key off ignition, insert again and start - no help - Wait for 20+ seconds and try again - no help - Try the depressing the brake trick mentioned here - no help - Try shifting gears, pressing pedals in all possible combinations - no help - Check all visible connections in the engine room - no help - Dance Coco jambo and and sing kumbayaa - no help Conclusion: It's stuck for good. I have no idea what to do. I'm thinking it's probably the keys (& the Kia immobilizer) again, but how do I know for sure?I don't want to get the keys replaced if it even might not help. Changing the car battery certainly doesn't seem to help (based on all the threads I've read online about the problem). The official KIA garage wants to tow my car to their shop, but I'm not overly excited about that, especially if they end up changing everything but the car chassis before the problem is identified. Any real solutions to this? What else could I try? By the way, I know for a fact that the battery in the CAR KEY has run out. But it had run out way before this ever started happening, so I don't think that can be an issue here (sure could try to change that too, just to be sure). One thing that I do know is that when I eventually will get my car started, I'm driving straight to the car dealer who sold it to me and buy a new one (which Ain't going to be KIA!). Annoying as hell.

10

I have a 2007 Grand Carnival and also experiencing the same problems, for over a year- it is so random. Sometimes it'll start no prob, other times it can take up to 10 mis to start throughout the day- no rhyme or reason to it. I have taken it to 2 mechanics (1 Kia, 1 not Kia) and an auto electrician. inhibitor switch and ignition switch have been changed and fuses cleaned but still the problem persists. Its incredibly frustrating and expensive. If i could i would get a different car- one thats starts!!!! Has anyone reported this to Kia? I emailed them tonight and am waiting a response.......

30

just wondering if anyone tried to clean the battery cables to make a better connection?

40

2009 kia rio wouldn't start sometimes replaced ground wire from motor to fender on passengers side, thought it was the battery or starter going, but wrong cost me less then ten dollars to fix!!! Ground looked good be when i grabbed it feel right apart! Second problem if its not running smooth most likly the coil packs, had that problem too replaced only the one that was bad, $100 new or junk yard 2 for $70 easy to do all that, ten minutes and save you hundreds! I don't trust most machanics! Hope this helps someone.

40

Just got kia rio 2011 a week ago. starts fine but right after feeling tank with the gas the car never starts ... the weirdest thing ever! It starts only if i push the accelerate it get to start ... I really have no clue ...

10

I have Rio 2010 it Was not starting, i check my batterie it Was OK my alternator Was producing 13 to 14 volts perfect the problem Was the ground wires from the engine to the body one Was cut and the other one was berly anging( lol excuse my english)i temporaly install boosting cable from engine to body and it started right away. For a car That i purched 5 years it Was unusaly corrosion. So for Rio the only ground for the starter is does two. One under the batery and other one onfront

100

THE PROBLEM IS THE CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR. REPLACE THE CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR WITH A NEW ONE. I BOUGHT IT ON WWW.ROCKAUTO.COM FOR 21.77

100

IF ANY OF THE IGNITION COIL PACKS ARE BAD AND THEY ARE UNDER WARRANTY GET KIA TO CHANGE THEM. THIS STRAIGHTENED OUT MY MISFIRING PROBLEM. FYI I CHANGED THE FUEL PUMP ASSEMBLY FOR $109 KINDLY DONT PAY 300-400 FOR IT. REMOVE BOLT FROM BEHIND BACK SEAT WHICH IS LOCATED IN THE TRUNK. REMOVE BACK SEAT CUSHION TO SEE ASSEMBLEY HOUSNING. REMEMBER HOW YOU TOOK IT OUT TO PUT THE NEW ONE BACK IN. IF FUEL TANK NEEDLE IS STUCK ON FULL OR EMPTY THE FUEL PUMP ASSEMBLY FLOATER IS STUCK. MAKE SURE WHITE CLIP ON IT IS IN PLACE. KINDLY INSTALL NEW SPARK PLUGS. MY 2011 KIA RIO IS AT 50000 MILES. IT RUNS SMOOTH NOW. NO MORE SHUTTING OFF AT TRAFFIC LIGHTS AND NO MORE MISFIRE. SEE YOU GUYS UNTIL NEXT TIME. GOD SPEED EVERYONE!!!

60

I have a KIA RIO 5 2006. The problem is the key does not co-ordinate with the computer. Open the ignition system. Dismantle the system and replace with two new parts. 1) the switch and 2) the antennae. You must give the number on the dash board and every switch and antennae is different. So how it works. When you insert the key into the cylinder, first it passes through the switch. Then the antennae send the signal to the computer box and this recognises the key and starts the engine. If it does not co-ordinate the there is no spark and your engine will not start. If you see the orange light of car and a black key inside the car display then wait for the light to go off and then it will start. That means the computer antennae is sending the signal to the box. Hope this will help

30

2891026900 purge valve for gas tank. This is the KIA part number for those that will not start after getting gas. It worked for my car and the part was on amazon for about $30.

10

Bought a '15 Rio Hatchback 5/15. Just took for 1st oil change (4K miles) and was told that I should use Top Tier Detergent gasoline OR at every 6K miles have dealership use a gas additive. Well, that sucks. I've always bought new cars and typically keep them 10-15 years without more than usual repairs. However, according to Kia owner's manual and TopTierGas.com, using a lower quality gasoline can result in some of the problems outlined here. Not sure what I'm going to do, but am not happy.

I have the same starting problem in last few weeks. I just cleaned the battery and keep trying to start now it seemed to be ok because I did clean yesterday I don`t know what will happen tomorrow. All my friends are giving different ideas but none of them are right answers for this starting problems. because even the mechanics don`t know what is all about.

20

I think RMarti has the answer ... my car just started :)

I had the EXACT same problem with my 2007 Kia Rio. Sometimes it would just not turn over when I tried to start it, but if I tried it like 2 or 3 times, it would start. Other times I had wait a while and it would start up again. I tried everything everyone said above (check your battery, clean your battery terminals, change your ignition coils, check the engine ground wires, test the alternator, try jumper cables, try a different key, etc.). Nothing worked so I ultimately gave up and took it to a mechanic (not a dealer). The mechanic replaced the starter and charged me $240. It's been a month now, and I've had zero problems. So for me it was just a bad starter. I'd try that if I were you. A you tube video makes it looks like it not a simple replacement so you might need to just bite the bullet, take it too a shop and just tell them to forget all the other troubleshooting crap and just replace your starter. Good luck.

20

Hello everybody I had also same problem with stater car is Kia Rio 2008,and I will did everything about nothing help me with this is problem few days ago is one of the master told me thats lets change your car stater and put another one stater with model Hyunday Sonata 1998,now it works excellent.No any problem at all.

20

Hello I had also same problem few days ago with my car Kia Rio 2008 model it started very bad,and I did everything which master told me change battery,to fixed starter but nothing 2 days ago is one of the master in Baku told me that lets change your starter and put it another car starter which is model Hyunday Sonata 1998 model because this is model car starter work very good.And we changed starter and no any problem at all.It started excellent.

I have the same problem with the car kia rio 2007. have entered the workshop many times from the alternator, oil pump and starter all and change the battery. 1 month ago, my car get into the garage and up to now the mechanic can not identify the cause of damage. Latest mechanics says the damaged computer box so I have to wait another two weeks to get the stock. mainly produced cars kia rio was a lot of trouble. kia boycott !!

30

I had a similar issue with a 2015 Optima. In the morning it would not start and after I hit the button....sometimes for 5 minutes... it started. I noted it would start after I shook the transmission stalk. I am under the understanding my neutral safety switch needed alignment.

Just started having this issue on my 2014 Optima. I sometimes hop in and nothing happens, so I shake my gear shifter and it starts right up. Have not done any repairs yet. Problem just started. Only had my car for 1 year. Im not happy.

30

Finally got mine fixed after about 10 days in the shop. I was told there was a short in the transmition position sensor. I hope I am saying that correctly. The car did not know where the transmission was placed. Seems to be working after having it back for 2 weeks

20

I recently ( aprox 3 wks ago) bought a 2005 Kia Rio, second day had difficulty starting spoke to previous owner who denied knowledge of problem, since then it has been at my mechanic 3 times and the Kia service centre twice. First they replaced fuel pump and filter then crank angle sensor then starter motor. Kia mechanics assured me they had solved the problem except I had the same difficulty starting the car to drive it home! They then suggested that I replace the entire fuel assembly at a cost of aprox $700 plus labor. I have returned the car yesterday to my mechanic who replaced spark plugs and leads free of charge and is going to keep the car until he experiences the starting problems I am having. The car cost me $3000 and I have already spent over $1200 and feel no closer to resolving this problem. I would never buy a Kia again and feel stuck with this lemon as I cannot in good conscience sell the car to someone else.

Replace your canister purge valve and you'll be all set. $49.50 plus labor. Trust me. Spent almost $1500 to figure this solution out.

10

This past few weeks my Kia Rondo 2009 would not start a few times. Turned key but nothing happens. Then a couple of turns later it starts. Starts fine for a few weeks then happened again. So took to dealership who said it was battery. So battery replaced. 3 days later would not start even with lights and radio working. Waited a day and tried but "no go". Had CAA come to boost or tow, boost worked to start. Dropped car at dealership who said they can't diagnose unless car won't start. Well guess what, car started for them. They told me nothing wrong with alternator, but they don't want to "guess" what the problem is. I understand the logic, but I have to wait for car not to start, then have it towed to them in none starting mode for diagnoses. Anyone have an idea what cause could be? If a simple car boost to a new battery allows the key to start the car, what does this suggest the problem to be? Frustrating situation as I need the car for travel purposes and want reliability.

I have definitely found the answer AND the solution. This, after spending about $1500 trying to find the correct procedure! It is one thing and one thing only, everyone – and please could someone who knows how to work this site post the answer for all to see you now and in the future: All you need to do is replace the canister purge valve. It'll cost you around $80 and your car will i'm like a charm from this point on. Trust me on this: It is the canister purge valve causing all your problems – – especially when you fill your tank with gas and then notice all the issues happening.

I have definitely found the answer AND the solution. This, after spending about $1500 trying to find the correct procedure! It is one thing and one thing only, everyone – and please could someone who knows how to navigate this site post the answer for all to see --now and in the future? All you need to do is replace the CANNISTER PURGE VALVE. It'll cost you around $80 and your car will run like a charm from this point on!! Trust me on this: It is the canister purge valve causing all your problems – – especially when you fill your tank with gas and then notice all the issues happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUYk4f35xbM Gang I had the same issue on my Kia Grand Carnival. Defective IPS Module Panel (Kia Sedona / Hyundai Fuse Junction Box Assembly). Attached video is the bypass & worked a treat for me. I have not had one issue with this since doing this. If you don't think you can do it yourself take it to an Auto Electrician with a copy of this video. Problem Solved. Do not spend any more money chasing this issue until you give this a go. It worked for me.