I have a 1994 chevrolet cavalier z24. I have had 3 transmissions put into my car since January, 2015. I am still having the same problem 3 months later. The transmission is slipping when I put the car from park into drive. It goes into neutral. Can this be caused by the inside gear shifter if the shifter is not connected properly to the transmission? Please help me. It is costing a small fortune for my mechanic to figure out this problem!! Thank you so much.

5

Asked by Apr 01, 2015 at 02:27 PM about the 1994 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 Coupe

I have a 1994 chevrolet cavalier z24.  I have had 3 transmissions put into my car
since January, 2015.  I am still having the same problem 3 months later.  The
transmission is slipping when I put the car from park into drive.  It goes into neutral.  
Can this be caused by the inside gear shifter if the shifter is not connected properly to
the transmission?  Please help me.  It is costing a small fortune for my mechanic to
figure out this problem!!  Thank you so much.

7,335

If whoever put it in knows what their doing they should be able to figure it out.Is the trans rebuilt? Did a shop do the work?

5

They have been 2 used transmissions. How can every one have the same issue? That's what is perplexing. I'm very upset with my mechanic.

5

My mechanic has a shop and has taken care of my car for 7 years. I don't think he is a transmission specialist though. He said he talked to a couple specialists and the specialists said that the inside gear changer could not be causing this problem.

7,335

Were the replacement transmissions all USED? if that's the case just bite the bullet and take it to a reputable shop and get it done right

5

All of the transmissions were used transmissions. My mechanic charged me $2515.00 the first one put in. Said it was under warranty but didn't tell me that if it didn't work I would have to pay an $800 labor charge to put another used one in. If I had of known this in the beginning, I would have had my original transmission rebuilt! It's not an option for me right now to "bit the bullet" because I have been on sick leave since February 20th and funds are super tight. All I want to know is whether the insider gear shifter can cause the transmission to slip from gear to gear? I really appreciate any assistance you give to me!! Thank you so much!

7,335

No, the gear shifter is cable operated and works a mechanism on the side of the trans that has a positive stop at each gear selected, and if that was bad it's still in the trans not the shifter

115

Fire that mechanic, and go to a reputable Trans shop!!

Best Answer