I am the owner of a 1996 Chevy cavalier and have replaced thye following parts; fuel pump, fuel filter, ignition module, and crank sensor and I am still having problems with it cutting off after driving about 20-30 minutes. What could be the problem? I have exhausted my funds playing the guessing game and still do not know what's wrong with my car. Can ANYONE please HELP ME?

Asked by Jun 05, 2012 at 09:40 AM about the 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Convertible

It also backfires when trying to start it sometimes. It maybe helpful to know that I was caught in a bad thuderstorm two days before my car start giving me problems. I am not sure if the rain or flood caused this problem...please help me.

395

Have you checked your coils? Can you tell what kind of backfire it is, fuel or electric/spark? Does it start back up right away after it cuts out?

Thanks for responding...it's like a fuel backfire and I thought when the ignition module was replaced it included the coils. I will be taking it to the 4th mechanic in the morning to try and find out what it could be...but it would be nice if I sort of knew before he tries to charge me an arm and leg. I was told by someone else that it could be my fuel injectors...not sure. What do you think? Oh...after driving it about 30 minutes it cuts off as if it's running out of gas and then it will not start for another hour or so. I imagine was it cools off. Please Help.

395

Maybe the coils were replaced when the module was, I'm not sure, but if it acts like it's running out of fuel its probably on the fuel side. It almost sounds like a fuel pressure issue, try loosening your gas cap & driving it. I'm wondering if somehow it's building too much pressure in your fuel tank and the pump gets air locked??? Does it matter how full your tank is? How old is the fuel pump?

Symptoms are a dead ringer for the CPS, cam position sensor. It cracked when you hit a puddle in the rain, now it works until it gets hot... then the crack opens up and it fails. It cools and the crack closes, back to working!

Amazing this id like reading exactly our same issues other then my guy is our mechanic, thank GOD! I SHALL KEEP U POSTED... HE THINKS NOW IT IS FUEL FILTER