It hard to put my shifter in first gear it almost feels like there is a wall an i cant get in first gear an if i mess with it it will go in so question is, is it hard to fix my shift linkage myself ?

195

Asked by Sep 09, 2013 at 12:01 PM about the 1993 Volkswagen Cabriolet Classic

4,855

Hello Lanay, there are some plastic components to the shift linkage you should be inspecting. When they wear out, it can be quite a loose feeling in the shifter and may cause this problem. Part is under $20. Fix the easy stuff first. I wish I had a better picture for you. I've circled the two plastic-ended rods.

195

should I get this or selector rods?

4,855

I always start with the easy stuff first. My 86 Jetta ate up the shift rod plastic ends and it caused a very sloppy shifter feel. Examine the linkage assembly as a whole...look for obvious worn parts...feel around for loose fasteners. It takes a bit of detective work.