My 93 vw cabriolet feels like the stick shift is loose when I have it in neutral or in any gear except reverse an when im driving I have to carefully shift in to gear or it kinda feels like it doesn't wont to go in to gear or it kinda grinds a lil,so my question is hw do u tighten the shifter or what else could be the problem.?

195

Asked by Mar 13, 2013 at 03:22 PM about the 1993 Volkswagen Cabriolet

107,925

Some cars has a large ring that holds the shifter ball in place. Remove the fabric boot and take a look at the mechanism. The folks over at VWforum.com and VWVortex.com can give you more detailed instructions.

5,045

The MKII shift linkages are nylon and tend to wear out...part is cheap enough to replace...any decent VW mech will be able to fix in 30 minutes.

160

All Cabriolets are Mk I. Sounds like the shift linkage rods are worn out. New ones are rather inexpensive and take about five minuets to replace. For more info ask at http://www.toplessrabbit.com Lots of good folks there with good answers.