Have '99 Blazer that is eating up fuel pump relays--about 5 or 6 in this last half week. Pulled cover off one and appears to burned connection wire inside. When goes out, the relay is very hot to the touch. Resoldered connections at pump as well as elect. taped so know they are secured. Still no improvement. Help needed badly.

Asked by Oct 13, 2013 at 09:39 AM about the 1999 Chevrolet Blazer 4 Door LT

Had the problem intermittently this past year but nothing like this. Almost every time the
car is cut off (sometimes goes out while driving) if will not start, replacing relay will make  
it start.

You need to run an amperage draw on the fuel pump circuit, it could be drawing to many amps for the relay, if the amps are too high you could have a fuel pump getting ready to just go bad or a bad wiring to the fuel pump. Most relays that size are rated at 30 amp max load but they won't take that for an extended period without burning up.

Best Answer

Thanks for the info. Hope others might be as helpful. Anything else that might allow the amps to be higher than allowed before I spend on new pump?

Wiring is critical, make sure the harness is intact, no rub marks against the frame, follow it the full length of the rail you never know if there is something concealed by the harness itself, make sure the fuel pump ground is clean and tight. So if the wiring checks good and the amps are still high then it can only be the fuel pump itself. I have seen the fuel pump connectors go bad on a lot of GM's that is only visible from the connector side, so check it also. If you do wind up replacing the pump make sure it comes with a new connector and replace it at the same time.

Installed new pump and filter, assembled fuse block under hood, then as I was reconnecting Ground I had a spark. Heard I think, a pop on fuse block side and now have no power at all. Sure battery is good. Frustrated- - you bet. Am I looking at another relay or a fusable link? HELP!

You should not have got a big spark nor should it have popped with the key off, that would indicate you have a main circuit short and did blow a main fuse. Replacing the fuel pump should not have caused this problem, the fuel pump circuit isn't even activated until you turn the key on. Locate the blown circuit protector and find out what systems are on that circuit and trace down the shorted component or wiring. You did do the amperage draw first, right?