When I use the keyless starter on my remote, the car starts, then shuts off in 2 seconds

Asked by Nov 10, 2014 at 09:38 AM about the 2000 Chevrolet Blazer 4 Door LT 4WD

I bought a 2000 blazer lt, 78,000 miles. I used the keyless remote starter. The engine started but shut off in 2 or 3 seconds. I tried several times, same results. So, I used the key in the ignition and the same thing happened. Then after several tries, the engine would not even turn over. While I was thinking it over, the car would try to start without me touching anything and shut off again. This happened several times. Then after 5 minutes or so, with the key, the car started fine. Any hints on what I was doing wrong?

10,585

This may have something to do with the passlock security that is factory equipped with the vehicle. Did you notice the security light on the gauge cluster when this happened? I have a feeling the passlock is having issues with allowing it to start with the remote starter? Did the remote starter ever work for you or is this the first you tried it?

Mark: This was the first time I tried using the remote start. (I just bought a used Blazer, 78,000 miles on it). I did read today that the passlock security may be the culprit. The red light is on when I turn off the engine and lock the door. I read that letting the car sit for 10 minutes and it should start, which it did. Can you tell me how to use the remote to start the car? Or should I just use the key. Thanks a lot for your response!