The rear axle of my 2000 Blazer started smoking and making grinding noises. It now sits in a parking lot waiting to get worked on.

Asked by Nov 30, 2014 at 04:21 PM about the 2000 Chevrolet Blazer 4 Door LS 4WD

What is the problem and how much (approx) will it take to get it fixed?

9,965

Very well could have locked up a bearing in the rear end. Cost could rang significantly from shop to shop and depending on what the extent of the damage is.

Hey thanks. I did notice a noise coming from the rear end a few days back. I was gonna have it looked at this week after the holiday weekend but it shot craps on me before I could get it to a shop. Any rough idea of cost. Reason of concern with that is the Blazer doesnt KBB very well and I dont wanna sink $1200 into a $900 vehicle.

9,965

I hear that. I own a 99 Chevy Blazer and the next costly repair that comes up will warrant a brick on the throttle and let it drive off a cliff. All kidding aside, an entire rear end/axle assembly runs around $500.00 Rather than getting inside and rebuilding it which is labor intensive, you may want to seek this option. Just a thought. Ask a garage if you could purchase the unit and see if they can swap it out. This is worst case scenario. They may get in there and determine that it is just a bearing and cost you $200-300? I'm just guessing, but consider your options when you get the diagnosis of what the problem is.

Best Answer

Hey thanks Mark! Appreciate your input and that has given me some idea of what the damage may be. Overall its been a great vehicle but its high on miles and time to upgrade. Its 100 miles away in a small town in a gas station parking lot! Hahaha! Kinda liking the ol brick on the throttle idea. Thanks again!

11,425

The bearing should run around $25 to $50 and can easily be done by yourself if you have the tools and know how. A good friend that can do it, but may charge you lunch and a few beers to do it. If it is smoking, it means the bearing is frozen up, and may be a bit-h to get our. Change both wheel bearings at the same time.

10

I bought a 99 ls 4x4 3days ago, the spider gear crumbled. For a new chunk in Tennessee is 125 for one and 136 for the other. There is two different ones made for the 4.3 4x4 the Labour is easy with the right tools and there are videos on you tube for everything. Pull a part only charges 67.50 for the rear end drop out.

10

Labour shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred by a certified mechanic if he doesn't dick around. I would go ahead and buy the entire rear axle though, u know what u have and it'll only cost u around an extra 100 bucks or so Labour and all

I bought a 2000 blazer and today I was driving it and it like jerked me then started Making noise any ideas?

11,425

Cat under the engine? Need more information. Only did it once? What type of sound is it now making and can you locate the area it's coming from? Could be and ignition misfire or you may of broken something inside the engine. Have someone check the oil for metal shavings or metal in the oil. It could be a timing chain, have the timing checked, or a valve line issue. Broken valve spring?

I have a 2000 chevy blazer and it keeps going through rear drivers side axle bearings. I have even replaced the axle shaft. It isn't 4x4, not modified or lifted either. If anyone can give me some insights of what could possible be going on or some way to fix this problem finally. I do know it isn't the original rearend, supposedly might be out of a zr2 blazer. No tag on rearend to know definitely. Please help!!!!

11,425

tat2edlady, It sounds like your are out of alignment and putting undue pressure on the bearings. Have it checked for alignment and see if any of the drive shafts is damaged or bent.