I have a 91 MR2 stock motor non turbo ran fine last week parked it in the garage for a week went to start it yesterday and it turns over fine so the battery is good it just won't fire what could that be like I said it ran fine when I parked it ..

Asked by Jan 30, 2013 at 06:42 AM about the 1991 Toyota MR2 2 Dr STD Coupe

iiieeee, so many things. OK, let's begin with did it have a full tank of gas when parked? This is actually unlikely, because it would start at first then begin to misfire..I am talking about condensation and water in tank. Then, we think basics: spark/fuel. Start by taking off the distributor cap and if you see beads of water in there, wipe it dry, and if you have any ether around, starting fluid, spray a little in there and allow it to evaporate, it won't take long ether evaporates VERY rapidly. Then give her a try. Don't crank it for a real long time either she will start or not. I just cringe when I see guys crank a motor until the battery is dead. The 91 has the S series engine...either the 2.2L 5S FE or 2.0L 3S GE, tell me which one you have and we will go from there, ..... Those mid engine cars are sometimes a REAL pain in the butt to get to the distributor, but they are prone to have that happen

Right now I am looking for a trouble shooting guide, but those 91's were the first MR2's released in The USA. Hard to find info

475

if the Mass Air flow is unplugged or difective it just won't start. Defective fuel pump? Could be so many things. Have you played in the engine bay?