is it expensive to maintain a 1991 mr2 turbo that is stock and will not be modified?

Asked by Jan 10, 2013 at 01:07 PM about the 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo T-bar

im thinking of purchasing a stock toyota mr2 turbo with 128k miles on it. is maintenance on these cars expensive? are parts expensive? thanks.

96,885

Go to www.mr2.com/forums/mk-2-mr2-sw20/ and ask. These guys know the cars inside and out. They can tell you how much it's worth and common maintenance issues.

3,075

Idk how the mk2 turbo is, but for my NA mk1, parts are dirt cheap.

345

Either the guy above me is rich, lives near a mr2 junk yard, or is full of crap. I have a 1987 Toyota MR2 N/A. Parts are bitch to find for it, and if you do find them then they usually want an arm or a leg. Just for the little emblem on the hood it's around $60. 2nd gen are far more common though, parts for them were much more mass produced. As tenspeed said use that forum, the people there are usually more than willing to help you with your questions.

3,075

I use RockAuto and Twos R Us for parts. RockAuto carries most of the OE parts that are commonly replaced. I used them to buy brake pads, rotors, headlights, gaskets, etc. Also the since the size of the wheels and tires are so small, they are relatively cheap too.

465

YES, YES and YES!!! It's my 2nd and I'm a mechanic. Parts are expensive. I'm not talking about brakes, etc. T-top seals $$$ etc and it's a 20yr old car. The best advice I can tell you is to pay a bit more to buy a good and well maintained one with low mileage. Buying a cheap one you will defenitly end up payong more with repairs.

465

When buying to check: T-top seals, speed gauge / needle goes up and down (cable), black smoke, idle well, no up-and down. Stock CD player will skip cd over time. A good indication of the quality of the car is if the bag with the accessory kit is in the car with the original spare tire. Check the rocker panel and floor for rust. Also, does the car has been repainted. Finally, I would never buy one of those cars if there is a salvaged title.

I have this car (same year). It's yes and no. It runs very well and has been very reliable, unlike my friends much newer mk3 which has cost her thousands and had trouble with everything! However, mine is having to have work done on the frame which isn't that cheap just because its old and corroded. There will be age related things to consider, but overall it's probably a better bet than other cars! However, 91 is the earliest year of this model, if you can get a later one it would probably help.