I have a 91 Celica, I took a drive for about 55mi and suddenly when I would give it gas it wouldn't accelerate and would sputter and jump. When I came to a stop it died and now won't start. Just cranks and won't start. What would cause that?

Asked by Jan 09, 2014 at 09:53 PM about the 1991 Toyota Celica ST Coupe

It drove fine and then all of a sudden it wouldn't hardly accelerate, it stalled and won't
start at all. Just cranks. It has 280,000 miles on it, has newer spark plugs, good wires. Not
sure how old the cap is, looks newer. But I've put 70,000 on it in 5yrs and I haven't
changed it. Only run 91 octane, change the fuel filter regularly. It had a new fuel pump put
in it right before I got it.

the timing chain has let loose and jumped a tooth seems somehow unlikely that you were able to drive so many miles without a timing set at 120,000 or so....it's a fairly routine operation if there hasn't been subsequent damage~