why won't my 02 Pontiac grand prix start?

250

Asked by Dec 17, 2012 at 09:41 PM about the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE

I have replace the ignition control module, the battery, the alternator, and the fuel filter and at random times the car
still won't crank. I can drive it a few places, turn it on or off a few times then all of a sudden it won't crank??! After
sitting 10 to 20 min.. It cranks all of a sudden. In the process of trying to crank the car it tries to crank but it just
doesn't catch. And the.motor, or something under the hood shakes pretty badly when trying to crank. Then after a
few minutes, it cranks fine?

2,715

possibly starter solenoid

Best Answer
31,125

The shaking is one cylinder firing but the next isn't. Does your security light flash when it does this? The symptoms fit it perfectly, if the passlock safety isn't making good connection in the ignition switch it will prevent the injectors from pulsing. Sometimes it will start for a second and die, or it will do what yours is doing. If its flashing then the ignition switch will eventually have to be replaced. There is a temp fix but you have to wait 10 mins to get it to reset like you said is happening. Is your check engine light on?

31,125

Pontiacprobs cranking means the engine is spinning and for the engine to shake it would have to be cranking. You say it doesn't crank and I assume by the way you describe it you mean it's spinning but not starting.

250

The security light does flash sometimes. Not often, it may come on when i start the car but it doesn't stay on long..and the check engine light has came on once or twice....but when I checked it, it read the fuel cap.

250

It tries to crank it just won't fire. Like it sounds like its goin to, but it just didn't catch

31,125

Next time it does this if the security light starts flashing and stays on after trying to start it leave the key in the on position until the security light goes out, takes 10 mins. Once it goes off the computer has been programed to ignore the faulty security issue. Now that its off turn the key of and it should fire right up. This is only a temp fix and after a certain number of run cycles (engine starts and then shut off) it will attempt to reread the sensor output. Eventually you will have to replace the ignition control module but until then you at least know how to fix the issue.

250

I just replaced the ignition control module though. 3 days ago.

250

Also since I had the fuel filter changed yesterday, the abs light and trac off light has been on??

31,125

Abs and traction have nothing to do with your engine starting. The ignition control module is located under the coil packs. I'm referring to the ignition switch located inside the car. Its what feed power to everything when you turn the key on.

250

I didn't think the lights had any connection with the engine.....wasnt sure tho. I've been having this mysterious prob on and off almost a year now. I've replaced the cool module, alternator, fuel filter, battery.(which went bad over time, from trying to crank the.car so much) and last, the ignition control module. I was told to ask about the camshaft sensor? Every mechanic I've been too cannot find the problem??!

31,125

My step dads 01 grand am went through the same thing and I remember I put the old part on the back shelf in my garage. You can see the opening on the top of the cylinder is where the pass lock plugs into.

250

Ok....so you think it may be the ignition switch?!

31,125

I was incorrect, it's not the ignition switch that needs replaced to fix the pass lock, it's the ignition lock cylinder. You can see the black electronic rectangle in this pic. The rectangle is the passlock. He took it to a shop and they charged him like $500 for parts made in Mexico, the parts went bad after a year so I replaced it with quality general electric parts. Made in America, sold by carquest, guaranteed for life. Job took about 45 minutes not including the reprogramming. He also had an aftermarket auto start installed so the extra wires made it a pain since its mounted in the dash. I would say less than 30 minutes in and out. If its on the steering column its even easier.

31,125

I would only say its the passlock if the security light is flashing every time it does this.

250

No. The light doesn't flash. I've only noticed it once or twice. But for the biggest part, the security light doesn't come on

31,125

In that second pic those are two separate parts. If the security light isn't the issue then there is a chance that it is the ignition switch isn't feeding 12 volts to the other control modules. Next time it does this check everything electrical you can to make sure everything has power. I saw a Buick that also wouldn't start, but the turn signals also didn't work nor did the wipers. Im getting to far ahead so let's just start with the security light next time it does this check the light and get back to me on here. This site sends me emails so even 2 months from now you can post on this question and I'll get an email. As far as the other mechanics being baffled, it's because electronics are either something you know how to diagnose or you don't and not very many people are good at electrical diagnostics. It's actually one of my strongest areas.

31,125

I wrote that while you were writing yours. Do you own a volt meter? To test the ignition switch you will need one. All the tests will be done at the fuse box so it will be easy

250

You aren't.located in the Memphis area are you??! Lol. Well thank you so much for your help. Next time it.decides not to.crank I'll pay real good attention to everything and Get back to you on here!! Once again, thank you!!!!

250

No....but I.know someone who probably does!!!! I'll make sure.to have them check it!

31,125

Northwest Indiana, when it does it again turn leave key on and test the voltage at every fuse, they should be either 0 or battery voltage 12.6+

250

Got it!! Thank you so much!

30

question my pontiac is doing the same also my heater/ac will only work on high#5 any other setting and the head lights cut out

30

its a 2001 grand prix also when i move the hazard lights they dont turn on right away unless i mess with it a bit and my batterie just died out completely had to jump start it to get home and now batterie is completely dead over night

31,125

Have you tested the voltage at the fuses like I said for him to do? As for the battery the bad ignition switch may be causing a parisitic load but it also may just be a bad battery.

250

My car is not cranking more and more lately. It takes an hour to start now. I haven't been to check the fuses just yet, but could it be the crank shaft sensor. And can autozone check that and the fuses?? Sometimes itll crank and die right away. Also, could the canister purge vaulve have anything to do with it? Very seldomly my check engine light comes on and the code comes up asfuel cap or canister purge vaulve. Ilooked and the hose has dry rotted. Is that what could be causing all this??

31,125

Idk if the auto zone employees are compitent enough to use a volt meter. As far as the crank sensor goes you can check that by checking for spark while someone is cranking the engine when it doesn't start.

250

Ok. Thank you

20

I have a 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix and I was / am having the same problem with the shake and that car just shutting off and not cranking for some time. I have finally find out after 2 years what the problem was. It is the wiring harness that they no longer make! The wiring harness will throw the check engine light on and tell you something different every time. I have put more money into this car than it is worth. My uncle was able to get the wiring schematic for my car and I have yet to fix it but I can tell you as soon as the car shuts off if you wiggle the wires on the wiring harness just a little you will hear the engine click and the car will start right up.

240

I have a 2001 grand prix,turn the key it won't start not even turn over all dashboard lights work checked the starter it's good sat a couple of days and started right up drove a couple days and won't start again...HELP.... thanx Joy

30

I have a 04 Pontiac grand prix. Sometimes it cranks just fine with a little gas other wise will die which ive had to do that for almost 2 years now. My problem lately is that now sometimes it will turn over just fine but not crank and even when you let go of the key its still turning itself over. Any ideas?

40

Hey I have a 2004 Grand Prix one day I was driving at about 60mph and It killed since then it refuses to start. It spins but doesn't start. The display say engine power reduced. I replaced the fuel pump and battery since then and still no luck help me please.

315

Sounds like it my be the fuel pump resister Kjhprix...

10

I have a similar problem with my 2002 Grand Prix. It will run good for months then it will start then die after a few seconds then if you try to start it again it will turn over but won't fire. However, if you turn the key to the off position then start again the engine will run for a few seconds then die again. I believe it is an issue with the passlock but the security light never comes on. Wait a few hours and it runs fine again.

31,125

Have you checked the fuel filter? While the engine is running the fuel pushes dirt over the filter, leave the engine off for a while and the dirt will fall from the filter so fuel can pass, start it up and the dirt will begin covering the filter again

70

I have a 2002 grand am. Intermittently the car will not crank. The symptom is this... No power to dash lights/gauges. No power to heat and A/C. No power to window switches. But the radio works door chimes, headlights work (but factory fog lamps don't). Turn signals work. We have already changed the ignition switch. My mechanic seems as confused as me. Any ideas?

31,125

Bad wire or connection between the ignition switch and fuse box. Check for voltage at the fuses for those accessories.

70

Thanks. I removed the fuse box cover and wiggled the bigger fuses and it started.

31,125

Nice

315

Thanks John! Glad to know he got it running again!

what wiring harness is @register06 meaning/where located? This could be a part of my muli-array symptom issue(s)...

35

I have a Pontiac Grand Prix 04 My boyfriend changed the ignition switch and now the dash lights will come on but when i try to start it all you hear is a clicking noise under the dash by the fuse box. We replaced the ignition switch cause the key got stuck in it and this is how its been acting ever since we put the new one in. All the fuses are good and battery is fine so any suggestions would help.

What happened to Pontiacprobz? Did the problem get fixed?

10

My 02 Pontiac Grand prix have the same problem when the weather changemail it won't turn over at times an these security lights keep flashing what should I replace

10

My Pontiac Grand Prix is doing the same thing it won't start at all and I've even done the reset twice and it still won't start any help???? Email me jballew920@yahoo.com

10

We've had the passlock issues with my son's '04 Pontiac Grand Prix. However, this time the car won't start,the wipers won't turn off the washers won't stop squirting fluid everywhere, and the horn won't stop blowing. I pulled the fuse for the horn and wipers, but the washers still are squirting fluid. Is it possible that the passlock could be causing that too?

20

Ok... having starting issues too. In my case, drove the car one day and all the doors unlocked. The next day, the car wouldn't start. Had it towed. Mechanic was able to start it fine. He kept it a week and started it every day. Picked it up and while driving it home all the doors unlocked. Next day... won't start. Help.... stranded again

10

Had my son's car towed to my mechanic. Diagnosed a bad BCM (body control module). Had to have it towed to the dealership to be fixed (recommend by my mechanic). Hope this isn't your issue...cost $900+ to fix